How can I how dimensions of cabinet frame / openings?

LeahMorgan

Go to solution Solved by SusanC,

Hi all-

I have a builder who wants a 2" stile/rail on a framed inset cabinet build.  I can change it on the cabinet construction part no problem, but I'm not finding how I can show dimensionally that the stiles/rails are in fact 2" instead of the typical 1 1/2".

I've gone into "manual dimension" and selected "openings" on the cabinet spectrum, and it does in fact give me the dimensions of the openings as I have it laid out, but it is not giving the dimensions of the frame stock material.  Is that even possible to dimension?

Dimension test.jpg

• Solution

I think you are just missing a check box in the dimensions.  If you double click on one of those dimension strings to open the dialog box, look for "Options" to see if you've checked "Display Gaps Between Cabinet Face Items".  

If that is the solution for you, you'll need to go into your defaults and check that box so all of your dimensions now work that way going forward.  

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 7.44.54 AM.png

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

If that is the solution for you, you'll need to go into your defaults and check that box so all of your dimensions now work that way going forward.  

As Mark alluded to, I don't believe you'll find that setting in the Defaults, only in the actual dimension string after the fact.

My error!  I think there may be a bug in the defaults?  

I used the "edit active view" button when in the elevation.

Selected defaults / Dimensions / Locate Manual / Cabinets and then I tried checking just "sides" vs.  checking "sides" and "openings".  

I can get one or the other to work, but not both.  

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 9.53.11 AM.png

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

I think you are just missing a check box in the dimensions.  If you double click on one of those dimension strings to open the dialog box, look for "Options" to see if you've checked "Display Gaps Between Cabinet Face Items".  

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 7.44.54 AM.png

Thank you so much!!!  This is exactly what I needed!!

You're welcome Leah!  However, you're going to have to do this for each dimension string for now because it appears it is not possible to make this change in the defaults.  While it is time consuming, at least it is possible.  I'll let you know if I find a way to do this through the defaults.  

On 1/17/2023 at 8:15 AM, MarkMc said:

I've never been able to find that in the dim defaults

On 1/17/2023 at 8:43 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

As Mark alluded to, I don't believe you'll find that setting in the Defaults, only in the actual dimension string after the fact.

Me either unfortunately , we may need someone to do another Suggestion for it :) 

M.

I had a one on one training session yesterday and asked why this feature is not allowed through defaults.  The trainer said he thought it had been set up this way intentionally, but would ask the developers for us.  I agree, this is not a feature that is needed all the time, but as a kitchen / bath designer, I like being able to control where the dimensions attach and was just wondering why it can be controlled through the dbx for an individual string, but not through the defaults.  Just curious!  :)  

• 5 weeks later...

I would personally love to be able to set my dimension default to dimension the face frames, rather than opening each string and checking the box! I work for a custom builder and we also have a sister cabinet company. Sometimes I specify 1-3/4" face frames and sometimes I want 1-1/2" face frames, depending on style or overlay. We have always dimensioned our openings and face frames for our carpenters. I'm enjoying the new ability to dimension cabinet openings as I previously would draw in a skinny 1-3/4" or 1-1/2" cabinet where I wanted every stile to fall, just so that I could dimension it! It was tedious, but helped our carpenters with their math. The down side was that for the client, I could never quite show accurately what the door/drawer overlay would look like. Inset worked if we set our left and right stiles to 0" and included the skinny cabinet in place of the stile, but overlays did not look accurate.

On 2/18/2023 at 11:05 AM, kaitlynlounsbery said:

I would personally love to be able to set my dimension default to dimension the face frames, rather than opening each string and checking the box!

It wasn't mentioned earlier, so I'll just add that you don't have to open each string individually, one at a time. Draw all your dimensions, then shift-select all the strings and change them all at once. Takes two seconds.