Interior wrapped stairs

KarenLF

Hello,

I am trying to draw a four-stair landing that wraps around.  I have the "Wrap Stair" activated and both stairs have the same attributes and are coming off the same landing but when I pull the edges together, they just overlap, they do not wrap.  I can get the wrap to work on a deck but not on an interior staircase off a landing.  Any ideas?

WRAPPED STAIR.pdf

I got it to wrap finally but I want it round, not square and it doesn't seem to be able to make a rounded square.  What I am basically trying to do is create a quarter circle wrapped by stairs on the radius side.

Hey @KarenLF

Wrapping is actually possible.  I use it all the time with exterior deck stairs, but only recently realized how the interior stairs work.

It looks like you have the overall concept down... however your stairs are shown overlapping - you don't to do this.  Instead you'll want to make sure both stair segments are set up the same way.  For my example I added in a set of stairs and adjusted it's properties.  Then copied, pasted, and moved the copy into position.  From there, I added in a landing using the landing tool.  Chief wouldn't let me do it the normal way of just clicking at the top of the two steps.

After that you can continue your run upwards.

As for a bowed set of stairs - I haven't figured that one out yet and I'm not sure chief can do it.

I created a video for you to references, but it's actually easier than I thought it would be.  The file is too large to post directly to Chief, so I've created I've added it to my google drive.  The link is below.

In the section of the video where I tell the arch to convert to polylines, it asks you how many segments you'd like.  I choose 8 with an angle of 11.25 degrees (I pause for a second to show you this), but you can choose any number you want (within reason).  The 11.25 degrees is important for the array section of the video, but if you choose another number like 6 for example you'll want to use that degree number instead (6 for example is 15 degrees)

You will also notice at the end one of the segments gives me a little trouble.  Chief doesn't seem like this connection and wants to break it.  For some reason, it happens when I zoom out.  It may be a glitch @ChiefArchitectwill want to address...  however clicking 'undo' seems to rectify the issue.

Google Drive - Rounded Interior Stairs Video

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

OK, I stand corrected.  You can't make a "curved wrapped stair" but you can create a "segmented" or "faceted" wrapped stair that might look pretty close to a curve.  Nice job Adam.  I learned some new tricks.  I still might want to use separate landings though since I feel like I have more control over them.

For sure!  That's how I have done it before as well.  It's a bit 'easier' to use.  This approach allows your to keep the railing working as intended and you could use a higher number of segments in order to get an even tighter looking radius.  The steps involved isn't ideal.  Hopefully X15 gives us another way ;)