Deck Railing Questions.

builtright3

25 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Hello Freinds!
Any help would be appreciated. Plan file is attached
ANA Deck.zip

Question 1:
I cant figure out why the post appear to have some extra materials attached to them.
image.thumb.png.93a43da4a8bc1adbd46b597505a7f279.png

Question 2:
I would like to extend the deck past the post a few inches, not sure how to acheive that?
image.thumb.png.6a37fcf7ce71ac85e49928a005748466.png

image.thumb.png.671c28790e18017b8fa5e53e90acf2d4.png

1.)Didn't open the plan but you can see in your pic the extra material on your balusters as well.  My guess is you are using a flooring texture instead of a seamless wood texture.

2.) Use an invisible wall for the deck edge and then place a railing inside that (you may have to place it away from the edge then precision move it close to the edge (also the railing wall may need to be marked as a partition wall depending on what your current railing settings are.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

1. You used a material that has a pattern assigned. You can either toggle off patterns or adjust the material and remove the pattern.

image.thumb.png.fc07d6d8a8a2e5c7b5eaf0f732a9d78b.png

2. To move the railing inward, simply increase the railing wall thickness. 

image.thumb.png.f3402192fa9518aff9b63d59aefa1fdd.png

Better technique.  Make the wall Wider but don't have newell set to be wall thickness.  NOTE you will need to make the Wall larger by double what you want the setback.  So if its a 4" wall and you want it 4" back from the edge you will make the wall thickness 12" and the newell 4"... Rough numbers for demonstration only.  The wall/newells will be centered in the wall thickness but the deck will build to exterior of wall.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

1.)Didn't open the plan but you can see in your pic the extra material on your balusters as well.  My guess is you are using a flooring texture instead of a seamless wood texture.

2.) Use an invisible wall for the deck edge and then place a railing inside that (you may have to place it away from the edge then precision move it close to the edge (also the railing wall may need to be marked as a partition wall depending on what your current railing settings are.

Not sure what is up with downvote.  1. is correct.  I didn't need to open your plan to see it in your pix.  2.  will work but I agree that Robert's suggestion is better.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

This didnt work for me. It just made the post bigger. Could I be missing a step?

Yes, increase the Wall thickness as Rob mentioned, NOT the Newel Post Size , Chief ALWAYS centers the Newel in the Wall.

M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I would just change the wall definition by adding an extra layer (air gap - no material) and setting that layer to be the edge of platform.

I'm pretty sure that works to offset the actual railing inside the deck edge.

Hello Joe

I checked the box as air gap but is there a way to get rid of the materials? Or should I just change it to an exterior materials so the wall draws correctly without having to reverse layers?

image.thumb.png.4f066303605bbb422db283f8e7edd895.png

33 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Im so confused, this should not be that complicated.:unsure:
All of these Idea's will work but they all casue other complications.

I personally don’t use the no material in the wall definition as I find it is more troublesome but what is the issue you are having with the method making the wall thickness wider and making sure the newell and rail is not set to use wall thickness?

• Upvote 1

To All,

I liked Joe's method I thought becasue I wanted to be able to get the dimesiton line to snap at the main layer but it still soe

19 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I personally don’t use the no material in the wall definition as I find it is more troublesome but what is the issue you are having with the method making the wall thickness wider and making sure the newell and rail is not set to use wall thickness?

I liked Joe's method I thought because I wanted to be able to get the dimension line to snap at the main layer, but it still doesn’t seem to work right.
I had less complications with his method also after I figured out that you must add the air gap to the interior layer instead of the exterior layer to get it to work right (go figure).

Im back to the thicker wall method and everything seems to be fine except for the dimension line.
image.thumb.png.4534717c03e72453b3b4bd2d5538d1aa.png

42 minutes ago, rgardner said:

So the dimesion that I was concerned about was actully in the right place. It needs to read to the outside rim and not the railing. Not sure what I was thinking but its right now.