Notched (unwanted) Rafters in X14 Still- WHY?

Archnot-Boltz

Dear Chief, isn't enough, enough? Common, man! Here we are in x14 and I'm still getting unwanted Rafter Notching. It just makes using Chief a pain and is the reason that my co-worker at a large remodeling and roofing firm is "demoing" Softplan at $95 per month because of it's better material's list and various construction oriented and design features. 

In this example, see attached images and attached drawing file. I've railed many times regarding Chief's inherent issues with conflicts caused by the way rooms are defined using walls and the interference caused by the foundation wall below if the beams above don't align, same with rails and beam conflicts and the way it also screws up the ceiling areas. I shouldn't have to explain any further. Just please fix the program so that we can do it right when creating our "Professional Drawings". 

Heck, Softplan gives you automatic 3d joist hangers  but I'd give that up in a heartbeat if Chief would allow for correct framing and wall intersections. Sorry but I'm tired of wrasslin' wit woika-rounds!! bb 

Notched Rafters Plan View x14 Still-WHY.png

Notched Rafters x14 Still-WHY.png

1259207018_NotchedRafterBSinx14Still.zip

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, I fixed it myself after some screwing around. Thanks for the help. But still, why does Chief throw a goof notch at it? It still bugs me that I have to draw an additional three invisible walls and designating an open to below room in order to get the ceiling correct because of floors defining ceilings. bb

Notched Rafters-Fixed It.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Another way:

Temporarily make the rear existing slab foundation wall No Room Definition.

Select the roof plane and on the Edit toolbar, select Build Framing For Selected Objects.

Change the rear existing slab foundation wall back to a room definition wall.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.21.20 am.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, glennw said:

Another way:

Temporarily make the rear existing slab foundation wall No Room Definition.

Select the roof plane and on the Edit toolbar, select Build Framing For Selected Objects.

Change the rear existing slab foundation wall back to a room definition wall.

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 10.21.20 am.jpg

Great tip Glenn, thanks. Still a bit of a work around because of Cheif's issues and their conflicts of Beams, Room Definition, Ceiling Area, Soffit Area, Railings and of course why the hell does a foundation wall's location have any business controlling a roof framing member and it's display? ( Riddle Me this Batman!)- but seriously-thanks. BB

Glenn's suggestion is essentially the same as mine. By removing the room def. from the fdn. wall, there is no longer a room existing with a ceiling that is higher than the bottom of the rafter.

Therefore there is no notch in the rafters.

There is no conflict here Brad. With all respect you just aren't working within the parameters required to achieve the desired results. If it were the other way around, many users would be stuck trying to figure out why the rafters were protruding below a ceiling plane.

When one models a bit more closely, then other issues can be spotted...Like a space conflict between the 1x4 strapping and the hurricane ties. One can either adjust the purlin bottom offset, or flip the hurricane tie to the other side of the beam.

In the image below, I've also taken the liberty of replacing the floor beam with a roof beam, and adjusting the elevations of the roof and the roof beam so the rafters sit directly on the beam (while still maintaining the original 3.5" seat cut).

image.thumb.png.837f9ecb43a91650da6c8639f1c98ba6.pngimage.thumb.png.c62def7c1c7b52838998bd3647c57fa2.pngimage.thumb.png.6553d435d3b0481c5d348643706c3d2d.png

• Upvote 1

"my co-worker at a large remodeling and roofing firm is "demoing" Softplan at $95 per month because of it's better material's list and various construction oriented and design features."

Softplan has it's own issues believe me. I've come to Chief and aren't looking back. Having been through Autocad, Archicad, Vectorworks, Softplan and now Chief, my personal opinion is that Chief has the best combination of automation, flexibility and price. Just an opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, KristjanM said:

"my co-worker at a large remodeling and roofing firm is "demoing" Softplan at $95 per month because of it's better material's list and various construction oriented and design features."

Softplan has it's own issues believe me. I've come to Chief and aren't looking back. Having been through Autocad, Archicad, Vectorworks, Softplan and now Chief, my personal opinion is that Chief has the best combination of automation, flexibility and price. Just an opinion.

I've also come from a background using Softplan.  I was in that world for three years.  It runs very similar to ChiefArchitect.  Neither are without issues.

Recently we hired someone who comes from a REVIT background.  As I have been teaching him Chief nearly every other sentence from his mouth is; 'wow, Revit make doing that a bit more complicated'

@Archnot-Boltz

So, what are the odds?! I have a roof that combines trusses and rafters. I WANT the rafters to automatically be clipped at the ceiling elevation and I can not make that happen. I had to use a roof truss and edit its members to get it correct for my section drawing.

So like usual, nobody wins!

image.thumb.png.0905167e2a30e1f9ce1e047599518f43.png

I used solid builder for whole house panelization back in KY 2004-ish. 

It has very clunky work flow but the ability to print each wall or each rafter, even plywood sheets - dimensioned was perfect. We would precut an entire home and take it to the site and put it up. 

Apartments and hotels were a hoot. It becomes more about sequencing and on site material handling. 

I have SB v24 but I don’t use it. Chief does plans for permit which is what my market wants…..soooo