UPS & Surge Protector?

jrussel

Hi Folks,

I am curious what UPS/Surge protector you may be using and what you feel the best choices are. I am getting ready to put one on my CAD system and thought I would ask around first.

Thanks in advance!

John

This what I bought recently. 1500VA/1000W at $218.

__CA temp 1.JPG

Similar to one have owned for about 6 years that went out. I consider them insurance when you compare the prices against you new computer system, monitors, etc. You can change the batteries out but their improvements keep me buying new ones.

I have had a lot of UPS devices over the years and currently have three of the CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD for desktops and an equivalent rack mount model.

An important point when choosing one is the cheaper models are simulated sine wave which doesn't work well with many modern Active PFC power supplies.   I've observed this in person with a PC PSU making a very bad noise, also see here https://www.synnexcorp.com/us/powersolv/wp-content/uploads/sites/105/2021/03/CyberPower_Active-PFC-Whitepaper.pdf

I've used an oscilloscope on the output of this CyberPower unit and its a good sine ware and the only APC devices with similar output and sine wave were way more expensive.

Another important factor is battery replacement availability as they need changing every 3 to 4 years as capacity drops.  The CyberPower batteries aren't available in the UK but they are standard parts so easy to source good quality alternatives but in the US the originals should be easy to purchase.

Lastly some larger UPS devices have a loud fan when the battery tops up a couple of times a day and this is what stopped me getting a couple of larger units.

• Upvote 1

Arghhhhhh, you just had to bring this up. I literally was just about to use my dell rewards on a new UPS but, of course, I waited too long and they expired and it would have covered 100% of the cost. I was looking at the cyber power UPS.

I use APC.  I have a 1500VA on each computer and a smaller 600VA on the modem and network.

They are very reliable

Look at the VAH (volt amp hours) on the batteries, that will determine how long each one will last.

Comparing CyberPower to APC, you'll find APC has the larger battery even though both are rated 1500VA

On 7/27/2022 at 2:42 PM, CharlesVolz said:

This what I bought recently. 1500VA/1000W at $218.

__CA temp 1.JPG

Similar to one have owned for about 6 years that went out. I consider them insurance when you compare the prices against you new computer system, monitors, etc. You can change the batteries out but their improvements keep me buying new ones.

I also have this one