Specific Framing O.C. per room

DeLayDesign

I need to show one room with a different O.C. spacing than the others.  Typical for the home is 16" O.C, but one room in particular needs 12" O.C.  I've only been able to find the 'global' option to change the framing parameters.  Am I over looking something or do I need to draw this room's framing 'custom'

T.I.A.

5 hours ago, solver said:

keeping auto build.

ct1.thumb.png.e3bd9dfcc9aed86f9ac9d9d570b96c5a.png

Just to add it’s not necessary to keep auto build but you will need to reframe the walls you need framed differently after you change that wall type to have a 12” oc framing spec.  Note fastest is to COPY the wall definition and rename it then change the spacing.

Sounds to me like you are asking about floor framing?

If so, you can use a Joist Direction arrow (don't forget to draw it on the floor below the room).

You will probably need to use some Bearing Lines or Bearing Walls as well.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 11.33.49 am.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, glennw said:

Sounds to me like you are asking about floor framing?

If so, you can use a Joist Direction arrow (don't forget to draw it on the floor below the room).

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 11.33.49 am.jpg

It's true.  I was asking about floor framing... I'm familiar with the joist direction tool, but It doesn't appear to allow me to build one room with 2x12s lets say and the rest of the home as 2x10s.  It seems to be a global attribute.  Instead what I did was deleted the framing from the room and drew them in custom myself.

21 minutes ago, DeLayDesign said:

It's true.  I was asking about floor framing... I'm familiar with the joist direction tool, but It doesn't appear to allow me to build one room with 2x12s lets say and the rest of the home as 2x10s.  It seems to be a global attribute.  Instead what I did was deleted the framing from the room and drew them in custom myself.

Chief does indeed allow different floor framing per room. Lots of reference videos re: same.

4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Didn't know a bearing line allowed for defining different floor framing.

Thats why I said:

On 5/23/2022 at 11:34 AM, glennw said:

Larry,

In most cases, you probably need to use both.

Without a Joist Direction, Chief will span the joists over the shortest span.

If that works out, OK, if the joist directions aren't what you want, then you have to use the Joist Direction tool.

18 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Glenn would you use bearing lines/bearing walls versus 'rooms'? Rooms seem much more flexible with more joist choices/materials etc.?

I use bearing lines/bearing walls.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dshall said:

I use bearing lines/bearing walls.

The OP was asking how to change O.C. spacing for floor framing. Seems much easier and more flexible to change that data in the floor structure of the room. No bearing lines or bearing walls needed.  Just sayin'

52 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The OP was asking how to change O.C. spacing for floor framing. Seems much easier and more flexible to change that data in the floor structure of the room. No bearing lines or bearing walls needed.  Just sayin'

hmmmm,  what would you do if you had an extra long span over the garage and needed to change the floor joists from 16" oc to 12" oc?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dshall said:

hmmmm,  what would you do if you had an extra long span over the garage and needed to change the floor joists from 16" oc to 12" oc?

Even though garages don't typically have floor joists I see what you're saying and I missed it. We can change floor joist sizing and material from the floor dbx but not spacing. Need the bearing lines/walls and a joist direction line as you and others have pointed out. :blink::wacko:

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Even though garages don't typically have floor joists ......

Hi Larry,  I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I was referring to the floor joists over the garage supporting the 2nd floor.

• Upvote 1