Cross Section differs from Perspective Framing Overview

KnotSquare

This is a simple garage design where I had a stem wall that was above the slab. I moved down in the plan view to the slab level and redesigned it to have the stem stop at the top of the slab and rebuild my framing.

Now the section view shows the bottom cord raised above the top plate like a collar-tie. It should be common trusses as the perspective framing overview correctly shows. I cannot determine the cause of the difference and fear it will affect my Material List.

Ideas?

Mark Farrar

mark@knottystudios.com

Knot Square Design, LLC

Butte, Montana

Chief Architect Premier X13

Bell Garage Floor Plan.png

Bell Garage Cross Section.png

Bell Garage Perspective Framing Overview.png

Bell Garage w-o Splash Wall.plan

Solver,

I did the first step and thank you, I did not realize that the specifications below were set for each layer. This may save me in other situations as well.

I just saw that you followed up and may answer why the profile still shows that the wall is dogeared.

Mark

Wall Type Settings Layer 1.png

Wall Specifications Profile.png

Solver,

Unsure if this is the answer. They were correct in the Perspective Framing Overview and when I manually raised them 12" and changed that siding criteria, I got the attached result.

My Room Specifications appear correct.

Is there a specific way I should have raised them? I prefer getting the settings correct verses manually changing anything.

Mark

Trusses manually raised 12in.png

Wall Specifications Profile.png

Makes perfect sense, but is there a REAL way to fix it correctly at this stage? It appears that only the gable wall is incorrect in this view.

I ask as I am in the midst of (3) large projects that have rooms and wall heights that very throughout the design.

I also have a project I have almost reached contract on that will not only have varying plate heights, but is to be designed to Passive House standards and the main section through the middle of the house is a true mortise and tenon timber frame. I am using Chief for the design work to produce a Material List, but create my construction documents in AutoCAD LT.

Of course I use Chief to design with my clients to help them visualize the final product.

Gable Wall.png

When I set this up I used Match Trusses, but I am having trouble locating that setting again. Where was that located?

This is an easy rebuild of the entire project, but I am seeking knowledge for when I have to deal with situations such as this in my larger models.

Digging the Vector View for framing. Great tip.

I can go back to a previously saved version and do just what you demonstrated, but not on this model as I have deleted the entire roof and rebuilt it.

I realize you are likely helping others, but if you have a moment, here are the settings I have and I do not know why I do not get trusses instead of 2x4 rafters.

Model upload is failing. Will try right behind this.

Roof Framing Defaults.png

Truss Framing Defaults.png

Resulting Rafters.png

Roof-Roof Defaults.png

Roof-Structure Defaults.png

Walls-General Defaults.png

Walls-Structure Defaults.png

Wall Type Definition at Framing Layer.png

Build Framing Wall Settings.png

Build Framing Roof Settings.png

Build Framing Truss Settings.png

Bell Garage w-o Splash Wall.plan

you have to build trusses. there are none there, see solver's video to check for them

An ugly way....:Turn your all layers on set. You will see the rafters. Click Build-Framing-Roof Truss draw from top to bottom on right most rafter. then select the truss and multiple copy to the left..

Delete ridge rafter

There is a video on trusses by CA

one item from my "one note" on trusses. you may need to rebuild the truss after altering the room or roof plane,do this by selecting the truss, open up the dialog, check Force truss rebuild

image.thumb.png.87517f7531aab7dc011cddea7f560548.png

image.thumb.png.aeeaf0c7b7ac3d18b82e9d46cfca31f2.png

Almost perfect. The end truss does not become a drop truss even if I designate it as such and the outlookers did not reach back to the next truss. I can likely stretch the outlookers if I turn on that layer in plan view, but I do not know what to do about the drop truss. This should not affect my Materials List and the truss company will make the correction, just wondering if I am still missing something.

Great solution Jason. Thank you for helping me recall where the build truss was located.

Roof Framing Plan View.png

No Drop Truss & Short Outlookers.png

10 hours ago, solver said:

Tip: If you set your defaults, ceiling height for example, before drawing, then roofs (and trusses), both auto and manual will be at the correct height.

This advice will save you a LOT of pain in the future with building any structure in Chief.

7 hours ago, KnotSquare said:

The end truss does not become a drop truss even if I designate it as such and the outlookers did not reach back to the next truss. I can likely stretch the outlookers if I turn on that layer in plan view, but I do not know what to do about the drop truss.

Select your two end trusses, open them, change them to reduced gable trusses, rebuild them.

Once done with placing your trusses either select both roof planes and hit the frame selected to put in the rest of the framing manually.  You most likely will have to clean up a little bit of framing but as long as your end trusses are reduce gable (and I suggest selecting as end trusses as well so it gives the backing for siding), the "outlookers" will build properly.