Trying to figure out lighting in X13

bdillard

Go to solution Solved by joey_martin,

Hello,

The standard render vs. world is radically different and so is ray trace.   

I'm no expert but I think the first view would be somewhat correct in the amound of light. I have 10 300 lumen recessed lights, 1 250 lumen chandelier and some amount of light - not much coming in from the outside - I set it for a late dusk.

Standard

Capturea.thumb.JPG.decb35d259fe34ec8a257926b2e80878.JPG

Physically based seems a little dark and a slight blue gray.

Capture.JPG

And Ray trace seems very dark.

Capture2.JPG

Also I notice that the under counter lights sometimes cast down a good amount of light and sometimes they barely show any light being emitted.   Sometimes if you let Ray Trace render longer (if you don't have a RT capable video card the lighting for ray trace under counters gets a little better but the overall picture seems dark even if you let it cycle for half a day.  However Physically based and Standard may or may not cast light even if you let them sit.

I can adjust some things to make it a little better but I'd like a lot more continuity between renders without making adjustments each time.

• Solution

I think PBR has a limit if 8 lights by default. You have exceeded that number which is why the other under-counter lights are not on. Increase the number of lights to 40 and they will be on.

Try this video for some settings and ideas. 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6155/clay-rendering-real-time-ray-tracing.html?playlist=102

BTW, my current graphics card (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti) also doesn't support real time raytrace, but the setting helped me get to PBR rendering I am sharing here. 

Kitchen.png

• Like 1

Thanks - I had it set at 20.    I switched it to 40  - no improvement.  I'll watch the video again.  I appreciate it.

I went to the light set and realized for rope lighting each light within the rope is considered an individual light - which makes sense if I think about it.  I cranked it to 140 and it works!

1 hour ago, bdillard said:

cranked it to 140 and it works

Chief no longer has the 8 light limit , hasn't had for several versions now, I have it set to 200 in my Template plan , so I don't need to change it every time I shoot a Camera......

Mick.

• Like 1

I have had two (1) hour private sessions with a Chief Personal Trainer named Kayla Lockhart who specializes in RTRT and I found it to be very helpful.  There are definitely a few tricks to setting up the combination of the backdrop, the sun, the light set, the camera exposure, the materials, etc. to get the right balance in a render.  I'm no expert, but I'm now able to produce RTRT renders for clients after having some one on one help from Chief.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I appreciate the feedback - I still don't know why  - when adjusting thing CPU ray trace - adjust lights - in use seems to be checked or not checked from moment to moment - and you can't modify if it is checked or not - I'm sure there is a simple reason but it would be good for me to know.

Capture5.JPG

Capture5.JPG

I did notice that on ray trace - after it renders, if I crank up the contrast to about 65% it helps with the brightness a bit.   I tried brightness and intensity but they seem to turn the image milky.

Most of the light settings are the same - the only real change is contrast (although it is the plan from a slightly different angle.

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Not sure if you've done this yet (doesn't look like it from your Adjust Lights DBX) but one thing that might help is, in plan view,  go to 3D>Lighting>Add Lights and add general lighting to the scene instead of depending on the recessed and undercab lights to do all the work. Make sure that 'Light Sources' is turned on in all views (or hit F5) and don't hesitate to add a couple of brighter lights. You can position those 'Added Lights' in any location and height and it gives a lot of flexibility to your lighting scene. 300 Lumens is also more what you would find in your own kitchen but in my experience, which is limited, 300 lumens doesn't do much in a Chief render.

Can you post the plan? Others might find a couple methods that can help.

EDIT: For example if you 'Added' a light (in plan view 3D>Lighting> Add Lights) near each of the 2 chairs it would brighten that area that none of the light from the recessed or undercab lights can reach. Those lights can be adjusted both in intensity and height to get you what you want. Worth a try?

• Like 1