CURVED ROOF EAVES

winterdd

I have always done this with 2 roof planes.  The bottom one has the curve.  I try to set the curve at a point that it could be framed with a sistered 2x12 that is cut to match the curve.  That will be a small flare but should look ok.  For more of a flared look, you have to increase the curve amount and the intersection point will move up toward the top of the roof.  It looks better that way but would be tougher to build.

There were 6 different curves in this roof plan with flared edges.  I worked them all out (the geometry) in CAD before setting out to do the roof builds.  Always, the uphill angle must match the upper pitch, to ensure tangency.

Right out the window from me, the house next door has flared eaves, and the framer (or architect) ignored tangency.  The break is not pleasing, to my eye.

Untitled 3.jpg

2 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

So I was sent this as an example someone wants to do on their home. How would you guys tackle the curvature?

image.thumb.png.13dc5cd09f5ec67b3c378ecde664bd9d.png

In your example (which looks like a digital model) the actual roof planes are barely flared at all.  This look could probably be faked by modeling flared barge rafters that the gutter hides behind.  I'm not a big fan of 'faking' but if this is the example they sent you, it might be enough to make them happy, and much less cost than an actual flared roof.  Having said that, there are much better examples of flared roof eaves, and you might Google it and send them other examples where the flare extends further back into the roof to see if they really want to express that...and absorb the cost.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

In your example (which looks like a digital model) the actual roof planes are barely flared at all.  This look could probably be faked by modeling flared barge rafters that the gutter hides behind.  I'm not a big fan of 'faking' but if this is the example they sent you, it might be enough to make them happy, and much less cost than an actual flared roof.  Having said that, there are much better examples of flared roof eaves, and you might Google it and send them other examples where the flare extends further back into the roof to see if they really want to express that...and absorb the cost.

Agree, I will talk to the builder and see what he thinks. Canted roof eaves is one thing but curved seems a little nutty.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

There were 6 different curves in this roof plan with flared edges.  I worked them all out (the geometry) in CAD before setting out to do the roof builds.  Always, the uphill angle must match the upper pitch, to ensure tangency.

Right out the window from me, the house next door has flared eaves, and the framer (or architect) ignored tangency.  The break is not pleasing, to my eye.

Untitled 3.jpg

I like that small gable curve.

That roof in the image seems to have a curve of some kind for sure. Minimal though.  

The (2) roof sections is definitely the answer. 

The gutter can be custom made...

Regarding the rake frieze, a poly line solid is great tool to force the shape of that boxed eave however necessary.  

Regarding Randy The Macho Man Savage... he was a legend. Lol. 

1896341925_Untitled1.thumb.jpg.603769818e210d509324da8322cdc81c.jpg

Untitled .plan

• Upvote 1