Text Labels with arrow pointers

Brett12

Hi,

There seems to one major thing missing in Chief Architect from what I have seen. That is a data base of frequently used text that is used on most projects and used to point to and describing materials or instructions etc, not necessarily a Floor Plan etc Notes list but arrowed Labels. 

I see there has been people asking for such a keynotes tool many times, and its seems strange that this major part of construction documents output is lacking.

Am I wrong? How do you all work around this?

There was mention of saving blocks of text to the Library in X13 but can't find any videos on this specifically. Is it possible to save the label text to the Library and has anyone done this yet successfully?

Cheers

Any way Text Macros are something you should look into that can be edited and will dynamically update all instances.  They can also be written to access the property values of objects and display the active value.

Yes I would use the same label on many views like Cross Sections, Details etc. Below are a couple of views from the sample plans. All the text labels on those views wouldn't have to be all typed right? Except the original one.

From what i read macros don't work on materials? You couldn't use a macro to automatically describe how to build something?

As I said earlier, can all those labels be saved somehow for use in that plan again (copy and paste?)and in future projects, re a database in the library?

cad-detail-section-detail.jpg

cad-details-shed-roof-peak.jpg

Yes you can create the note in Text Macro Management and then it will be there for multiple uses and can be edited or revised and each instance will reflect those changes.

That is a fairly organized and versatile way to go  about it.  There are other ways of course such as the new feature of X13 that allows them to be saved directly to the library.

You can even just have them stacked up off to the side of your detail template and grab the ones you need.

Hello Brett,

There are hundreds of CAD details in the Chief Architect library that have text with arrows describing various sections.  You will find the CAD details in the 'Core Catalogs>CAD Blocks>CAD Details.'  You will find other text notes and legends there too.  There is also a bonus library you can download from our website.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/index.php?r=site/detail/764

If there is text you frequently use in your plans, you can create a CAD detail page in the Project Browser of your Template.  You can also save the text or a CAD block to the library for quick use in future plans.

There are also great suggestions from the other users above, but thought I would add some other options.  The bottom like is that there are lots of ways to efficiently reuse text within the same plan or in new plans.

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions.

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Software

• 1 month later...

As mentioned by others, it's pretty simple to add to the user library.  

1. Select the text
  2. Select the "Add to Library" icon on the Edit Toolbar
  3. Rename the Library Object from "Text" to something recognizable.
  4. Move to a Folder where you store the notes.

OTOH, for complex notation you can use a macro such as I've done for the examples of stairs in the attached pic

My Stair Label Macros retreive all the information directly from the Stairs and Landings.  I don't have to type anything and the text perfectly matches the model. 

Stairs are probably one of the most complex Chief Objects to annotate since they can have multple flights and landings.  

Stair Sample Labels.JPG

• Upvote 1