Frieze board

SH_Canada

is there some trick to getting frieze board to generate?

CA help says:

Frieze moldings are added to both automatic and manually drawn roof planes when one or more frieze profile is specified in the Build Roof dialog. They can also be added to, removed from, or customized for individual roof planes in the Roof Plane Specification dialog.
Automatically generated frieze boards are placed along all exterior walls directly under the eaves. Frieze does not generate along railings; however, if an attic wall is built above a railing, it can generate along that wall.
• Frieze moldings are generated whenever the roof is rebuilt.
• You can specify whether each profile is applied under eaves, under gable eaves, or under both. You can also use the same profile multiple times and adjust the offsets for each to suit different conditions. See Frieze Panel.

if you click on Friexe panel you get:

The settings on the Frieze panel allow you to specify one or more frieze molding profiles to generate under the eaves and/or gable overhangs of roof planes. See Frieze Molding.

The help also says they work like moldings The settings on this panel are like those on the Moldings panel found in many dialogs in the program. See Moldings Panel. i go there and there is a 1x4 trim shown.

image.thumb.png.346e6365d0092cade7b7d27de97331cf.png

But if when I searched for "trim" it returned nothing. What exactly would I search for to get the "1x4 Trim" as shown? (A search for "Stacked" yields no results as well)

image.thumb.png.88ec95bbc286d2d5703e13cb3de140a6.png

After searching the forums, I picked molding profile CA-001 that I found someone else using, as a search for "Frieze" or "Smart" or "flat" or "trim" in molding profiles->Add New, did not give me any flat boards. actually "Smart" or "flat" or "trim" yielded no results."frieze" gives 3 non flat  profiles

How exactly is one supposed to know to search for "CA-001" for flat stock or smart board?

Regardless, it still does not show up in the 3d overveiw camera. Any ideas? (nevermind this question, I have to have "auto rebuild roofs" checked for them to be built, then if I adjust the roof planes, it seems to keep them.

In other words it appears I must set the frieze boards first when auto building the roof, then once I alter the roof planes the "Auto build" automatically gets unchecked, but my frieze boards are still there). IF i do not have them there when I autobuild roofs, it does not seem to put them on later. Or am I missing something? Is there an easy way to get them put on AFTER the auto build gets disabled (due to manual roof plan change). (Nevermind I found an answer to this question as well, which is to add them for each roof plane, NOT through the roof DBX as the roof dbx)

Unless there is another way,  it would appear the help statement:

Frieze moldings are added to both automatic and manually drawn roof planes when one or more frieze profile is specified in the Build Roof dialog.

is not accurate, as it would seem, at least from what I can tell, the roof dbx only applies to automatic drawn roof planes. Or am I missing something?

So at the end of all of this, two questions:

why can't I search for "trim" and have the 1x4 trim as shown in the CA help show up?

and is there a way to get frieze boards added to manual drawn roof planes, by specifying them in the build roof DBX?

another observation I made is that if you edit the roof planes such that they no longer connect (for instance at the peak of the gable, the frieze boards disappear, regardless of if they are set on the individual roof plane 

image.thumb.png.151c6a6fb70121fc2e8a9e551d02fd69.png

image.thumb.png.1d0a66ff469e175f03511a8fd26aa603.png

This behaviour should be documented in the user doc as it appears to be a requirement for the frieze boards to show

thanks

image.thumb.png.784be94650ea4c179548564779e34480.png

27 minutes ago, jasonN said:

why can't I search for "trim" and have the 1x4 trim as shown in the CA help show up?

That might make a good suggestion but if you apply the frieze through the DBX it actually filters and guides you through your library search by only allowing you access to the files that apply to the situation. Good, Bad....   Who Knows.

29 minutes ago, jasonN said:

is there a way to get frieze boards added to manual drawn roof planes, by specifying them in the build roof DBX?

Build Roof is for automatic roof builds.  Edit All Roof Planes...  is for manual adjustments.  Good, Bad....   I could possibly be labeled better ?

32 minutes ago, jasonN said:

another observation I made is that if you edit the roof planes such that they no longer connect (for instance at the peak of the gable, the frieze boards disappear, regardless of if they are set on the individual roof plane 

You have now created a structural problem and you are worried about style ??  Ridge caps have the same issue or is it really an issue ?

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

You have now created a structural problem and you are worried about style ??  Ridge caps have the same issue or is it really an issue ?

It was more trying to get them to show up by doing different things. This project has an offset peak, but the pitches are the same, so I had to move the ridge. So I auto build the roof, then moved the planes and I did not originally have them exactly together and the frieze board did not show. The picture above was more to show visually they were not connected

In hindsight it is actually a bit of a good thing, IF you knew this behaviour, because if you have the roof planes very close but not actually connected, the roofs look ok in the 3d, but the frieze board is missing. So essentially you can "check" your roof planes integrity visually by adding frieze board. if the frieze board shows, you are good, if it does not, you need to fix them

I also realized in this post, that I was considering that, when I edited auto generated roofs, I considered them manually drawn. But after pondering this, I think CA is considering manually drawn as maunally drawn roof planes from scratch, and hence why the user manual would indicate the dbx setting apply to manually drawn roof planes. I typically will auto generate roof planes and then edit them to be where they need to be. The roof DBX only allows auto rebuild of roofs if you have have not touched the roof planes. 

@chopsaw

for this:

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

That might make a good suggestion but if you apply the frieze through the DBX it actually filters and guides you through your library search by only allowing you access to the files that apply to the situation. Good, Bad....   Who Knows.

this is what I get when I go to add a molding profiles in the Frieze section in the build roof dbx. Where or how is this filtering and guiding taking place? Nothing shows up for me

If I type "frieze" I get three, non of them flat

Thanks

image.thumb.png.b71fd6851a89c5d25baaaaaf0cf5a00b.png

image.thumb.png.6e4e668b1fc27bbec83dd7382300750d.png

thanks, a bit of a hunt and peck, but I suppose once you find CA-001, then one knows that is the molding to represent smart board or flat 1x

I'm still a little perplexed in not being able to find the "1x4 trim" shown in the CA user doc. Maybe they created their own for the example....

4 hours ago, jasonN said:

I'm still a little perplexed in not being able to find the "1x4 trim" shown in the CA user doc. Maybe they created their own for the example....

Yes you can create your own library of moldings and call them anything you want.  I did notice however that in your posted example the 1x4 and 1x2 are actually reversed so maybe it is not worth getting too detailed about it with regard to sizes as those are entered separately anyway.

Once you have something in your library, right click on it and you can enter any custom "Search Attributes..."  that you like.  Not really sure that lumping trim and molding together would be all the helpful though.

CA-001 represents anything square or rectangular in profile.   I think Chis answered your question while I was offline ?

yes he did thanks, I'm still a little put out than one has to "know" about CA-001 for flat 1x. It seems to be a function of CA lumping moldings and exterior trim into the same category.

Around here 99.999% of frieze boards are flat. A couple words about CA-001 in the user manual or default to it in the dbx would have been helpful. ...off to the suggestion box

or I suppose a manufacturer's catalog for LP would have found it as well

perhaps and I think that is the difference, I was searching by words, not looking at profiles. 

One just has to convert the thinking to everything is molding be it interior or exterior and know or  peruse the catalog to know flat 1x is from the generic base molding. I think part of this is I do not think of exterior trim as molding and my attempts at searching were for terms like frieze, trim, 1x etc.

I can see why it is done this way as it allows the same generic object to be used for different purposes instead of replicating that object for different purposes. My opinion is then the documentation should de-genercize it for the use case.

I use the search a lot to find everything from lights to sofas, I was expecting to find something with the search. But in this case, because it is so generic, it cannot be easily found

I think, and it is merely my opinion, that if the user guide shows it as 1x2, 1x4, a few words that it came from "base moldings", and they created their own for the example would be helpful. 

My guess is most people do what you did and add to the user catalog or simply memorize or go to CA-001 and then adjust the size as they are added

1 hour ago, jasonN said:

or I suppose a manufacturer's catalog for LP would have found it as well

If you use this a lot ask the Manufacturer to have a Library made :

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/28804-digital-brand-catalogs-advocating-for-your-favorite-brands/?tab=comments#comment-229747

* the Chief Library Search function is "lacking" as they don't add Search Attributes to each Item made ...as a General Rule ...but you can....

or better yet once you've found something you will use multiple time, copy it and paste it into your User Catalog.

M.

21 hours ago, jasonN said:

thanks, a bit of a hunt and peck, but I suppose once you find CA-001, then one knows that is the molding to represent smart board or flat 1x

001 is just a square molding profile. I use it for frieze and all kinds of stuff

Once you know, just hit 001 in the search bar

But yeah, that ol' "once you know," which is prevalent in the software :lol:

23 hours ago, jasonN said:

yes he did thanks, I'm still a little put out than one has to "know" about CA-001 for flat 1x. It seems to be a function of CA lumping moldings and exterior trim into the same category.

Around here 99.999% of frieze boards are flat. A couple words about CA-001 in the user manual or default to it in the dbx would have been helpful. ...off to the suggestion box

or I suppose a manufacturer's catalog for LP would have foun

What keeps you from making your own library of 1x moldings? Or, you could easily add some Keywords to the Search Attributes of specific library items that you use frequently.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

What keeps you from making your own library of 1x moldings? Or, you could easily add some Keywords to the Search Attributes of specific library items that you use frequently.

Well CA-001 is now burned into my memory, but I did just check out adding the search term. That works very well, and I copied it to my user catalog with the name smartboard". Thanks for those tidbits. I can see the search one being very useful for those "I might need this again someday", but for some reason do not want to add more clutter to the user catalog..although one could argue to create "not used very often folder" and stick everything there

I have not really had much use for just 1x other than frieze board, that I can think of, that is not automatically done, such as fascia.. And the frieze board you can change the dims as you enter so I do not see a need for me at this moment to add different 1x, but I could see for others dressing up the outside of houses, it probably is very handy

I try and use whatever is built in most of the time, like batten board around windows can be specified in the windows DBX.

I seem to recall this(adding molding) was not the way is was done in X6. I think there was just a check box, but I could be wrong. More configurable=more powerful=more complex.  Always a balance, which is where I think the user doc offers the best cost effective way to educate for these types of things (CA-001 is flat stock). A couple sentences goes a long way