Z-Fighting at exterior between floors

Larry_Sweeney

I'm working on a project where I have stone veneer on my first floor block walls and the same stone veneer setup on the stud walls above. I have some sort of Z- fighting at the top of the block wall and the bottom of the floor joist. (first attachment) It looks like to me it's the ceiling in a cross section. When the Main layers of the two walls on the different floor levels are lined up I don't think the z-fighting is there, but when I line up the stone veneer between the two levels it shows. I'm puzzled why and I haven't figured a way to eliminate it. I'm probably missing something pretty simple, but I made a mock up plan of two rooms above each other using the same walls I have in my project plan and the same thing occurs. (see attachment 2). I'm also sending the simple two room mockup plan. Appreciate your time and advice. Thanks

P.S. Any ideas why this simple plan is so large? There seems to be a large amount of textures attached to the plan for some reason.

Z-FIGHTING.jpg

MOCKUP.jpg

simple plan.zip

Hi Larry, 

Plan seems to be a normal size to me 3.78 MB.

Definitely a challenging issue going on there.  I thought maybe it was being caused by the furred wall being inside out but that was not it.

Hopefully someone has a logical answer for you but if not I think tech should be told about the issue.

Workaround for the time being would be to delete the ceiling finish from the 1st floor and apply it to the floor definition of the 2nd floor.

Strange that if you leave it as it is and make the ceiling layer really thick that it works visually but not for your construction doc's.

simple Chopped.plan

10 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I'm puzzled why and I haven't figured a way to eliminate it

Here's one way to make it go away... If you set the exterior masonry walls of the lower floor to have 'No Room Definition' then the ceiling drywall (which is what's showing through) will stop at the interior furred wall... which is how it should be. 
I even tried moving those furred walls inward to create a space between walls, unchecking 'furred walls', then setting the interstitial space between the walls to be a room  and unchecking 'flat ceiling'.  Seems like that should've done it too... but no.  

• Like 1

I won’t pretend to know why but I did see this in one other plan for one of my clients a while back.  Here's what I told him:

It could be a bug and it could be some nuance with masonry/veneer walls that I don’t fully understand, but you can fix the ceiling issue by either:

A.  Setting those lower walls to be Foundation walls or...

B.  Clicking on the Foundation tab for those walls and removing the sill plate.

On the surface it honestly looks like a bug to me though and I would suggest reporting it to technical support to see what they say.

This was a hard one to track down and I still don't know exactly why it is happening.

To see what is going on, you will need to show wall and floor framing in a section view and turn on auto framing.

If the thickness of the ceiling above level 1 is thicker than the sill plate, the ceiling will not build through to the outside of the wall.

As soon as the ceiling is thinner than the sill plate, it builds through to the outside of the wall and causes the z fighting that you see.

Bug?

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 6.28.40 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 6.29.04 pm.jpg

• Like 1