Chief Architect X12 - PDF files unreadable after upload for permit submittal

bluestem

Hello,

I am working on Chief Architect X-12 on an iMac running macOS Catalina.

I have been using this software without any issues for over 3 years now, and all of a sudden for some reason my plans are becoming unreadable after a PDF has been uploaded.

In order to submit for permits online all municipalities require us to submit each page as in individual sheet. After I create the full plan set PDF from the CA print dialogue, I then use preview on Mac to 'reprint' or make the individual sheets from that full plan set. At this point all of the plans are perfectly legible when I open the files on my machine. Unbeknownst to me after upload the files become broken and unreadable.

This is extremely frustrating because current plan review times are long and I am now having to re-submit and wait even longer for plan review for something that is not necessarily any fault of my own, especially when I have done this numerous times in the past without issue.

Please advise.1988099598_ScreenShot2020-10-05at10_18_39AM.thumb.png.fa8a626d82864eea54cb5143033a4d46.png 

Just so everyone is aware I have double and triple checked the Chief Architect file, there are no text errors there, or in the PDF file or the file when printed. The problem persists when files have been uploaded to the ProjectDox Software that different cities use. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

18 minutes ago, bluestem said:

Just so everyone is aware I have double and triple checked the Chief Architect file, there are no text errors there, or in the PDF file or the file when printed. The problem persists when files have been uploaded to the ProjectDox Software that different cities use. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have indeed experienced a simple Truss calc package that the City of San Diego simply could not open. Opened fine here. Opened fine on my plan runner's machine but the City was stymied and was getting an error message like the file was locked and needed editing. There was no reason to 'edit' the file as it simply needed to be opened. Have no idea how they remedied the problem which is no help you to I'm afraid but my plan runner and the plan checker teamed up and solved it.

You might try opening the PDF on your computer with Adobe Reader and then click "Save As", pick another PDF format, like optimized PDF and save it under a different name. See if that works? Some times Adobe Reader can fix issues by simply saving it within their reader program.

2 hours ago, bluestem said:

Hi Rob,

I have tried this and the issue unfortunately still persists

Thanks

My only other suggestion would be to zip each file and try uploading a zipped file as opposed to the pdf file. The person on the other end would have to extract them of course, but the issue may be in the transfer process.

Of course, I'd try that with a single file to see if it works.

It is interesting you bring this up. One of my business partners is a trash contractor and recently the builders have not been able to open his Pdf documents. I would look into checking your hardware for a virus. It could also be an issue on the recipients end. 

2 hours ago, jmsisco said:

It is interesting you bring this up. One of my business partners is a trash contractor and recently the builders have not been able to open his Pdf documents. I would look into checking your hardware for a virus. It could also be an issue on the recipients end. 

This is not a problem with opening PDF documents. It is a problem with files uploaded to a cities' ProjectDox online application, which is the preferred plan review client for many municipalities in my area. Just to be clear I can send PDF files via email and open them just fine. It is just when I upload PDFs to this client that this text issue happens.

Have you tried using a pdf printer driver and not the CA print to PDF driver printing each page 1 at a time(which is a PITA). I have had pdf print problems in the past and they have always been a compatibility issue between programs. It seem different programs treat PDF's slightly different.

We are fortunate that we have to supply all pages as 1 pdf, it can get pretty large for emailing though. I did a little research on the project Dox program which appears to be a translator type program so yet another conversion ? of the pdf.

Best of luck sorting it.