What Came First? House Or Plat, Or Does It Matter?

keithhe

I think I am Jim. I found the "Plot Plan 2" layer, but nothing except the house footprint shows up under any of the layer sets?? I don't have a CAD Details Layer or a "Site Plan" layer, but checked the plot plan, footprint etc.. I must still be missing something here.

OK, just found it. Wow, I really still suck at this program....

Thanks Jim, Richard and all the rest of you guys !!! This works fine, but I'm hell bent on seeing if there is some mathematical, geometry method to this equation. I think there might be, but I'm one of those people that will die trying to figure something out...

Thanks again all !!!

Keith,

Note that the footprint polyline is set to "CAD stops move." When you get the angle of the building rotated to match the PDF, the setback line "fences" that Jim drew will stop the footprint at the exact location. Trying to figure out a mathematical way to calculate a surveyor's very human approximation isn't going to happen in a useful way. Either the left or the right setback is ALWAYS going to be off. You get to choose which approximate dimension is correct, or you can just put the house somewhere in between and it may be off by a little over an inch. You aren't building to rocket ship tolerances here.

A lot easier than I initially thought.

First find distance from front left corner to back right where bay touches the line.  This is your hypotenuse.

Find  ANGLE 1 of hypotenuse relative to verticle lines,  you know the hypotenuse and the distance between vertical lines easy peasy

Find ANGLE 2 of hypotenuse relative to back wall of house,  you know the hypotenuse and you know width of house easy peasy

Add ANGLE 1 to ANGLE 2 subtract from 90 degrees,  you now have the angle of side of house relative to vertical lines.

Once you know angle of house relative to the property line,  the rest is easy.

Hypotenuse, very good my son. You know what a freaking mess I would do with this word.

Well,

The OCD in me would not leave this alone. I'm not quite there yet but with 2 of three points attached, I'm within 1/4 inch of the last point. Not close enough, I know, but working on it....

Simply drew the boundary, with setback known. Blocked that. Then from the drawing of the house, I used the brick corners as I suspect surveyor would have and paced CAD points on the three points. Connected points with CAD lines and copy/paste into the CAD Detail with property boundaries. Then a little rotate and point to point moves and two of three there, third point 1/4 inch out. I'm shooting for 1/8 inch, or less then I can sleep nights...

See attached

post-489-0-66876700-1415729073_thumb.jpg

Look, the surveyor is dimensioning to the nearest 1/10th of  a foot. That means that the dimension theoretically can be only accurate to plus/minus 1/20th of a foot (5/8"), assuming that the surveyor is capable of measuring absolutely PRECISELY. (Which is unlikely.) You are now in the land of officially fooling yourself regarding possible dimensional accuracy.

Richard,

This has absolutely nothing to do with the legal aspects of the drawing, in any way. This is simply now, as I already had it as close as would ever need to be with help from the gallery here, an exercise in methods to solve a problem. I, like others here, thought there was not enough information given, but given just what was provided, it can be done quite accurately.

I'm also the type of person who has to know the "right" way to do these things mathematically. Unless the house dimensions AND lot dimensions are VERY NEAR PERFECT its not actually possible to mathematically place the house any better than "close". You really need at least one absolute point and you have none of those. At best you can assume the measurements from the house corners were taken at 90 degrees from the lot lines but even that is questionable

I would personally draw circles from the 3 corners of the house and rotate the lot till all 3 points touched. Then maybe copy and offset the lot lines to make sure it was really close that way. If there was any discrepancy after checking with the offsets I would break the difference and call it good.

Michael,

I tried that approach early on too. I like using radius circles from multiple points to find absolute intersections of otherwise hard to find spots. That did not work for me, in this case, but will test it once I have thee points in and house the way I think it is supposed to be.