Ceiling Plane Defaults

dshall

Does anybody know how to change the material defaults for a ceiling frame.  

The OOB ceiling  planes uses the room finish for the drywall and it uses fir framing for the framing of the ceiling frame.

Can I change the default for these two materials?

Don't know but since it's a roof tool, try changing the roof framing? Or try changing it in the room dbx for ceiling framing for that room?

I would try that,  but my roof planes are good.  It is when I build a ceiling plane in MY PLANS,  not an OOB plan......  the rafters are made of STUCCO and the ceiling finish has two materials that are z fighting,  the two materials are STUCCO and the DEFINED ROOM FINISH.  

I think I will send this into the muckity mucks at headquarters.  Those guys know everything.

Sorry, but I don't have my laptop out, but can you select the ceiling plane and frame that ceiling plane only like you can now frame a roof plane by itself now only?

If you select a ceiling plane,  the only material you can change is the ceiling finish and only after you unselect USE ROOM CEILING FINISH.  I do not see a way of changing the ceiling plane framing materials.

Well, as a last resort, you can always turn on framing in plan view, select the framing and then change it. I showed this at one of our last user group meeting for doing exposed ceiling framing for a specific situation. I changed the framing size, lowered the framing and changed the framing materials for the framing of a ceiling plane.

Defaults>Floor>Structure

jon

I must be missing something....  I don't get it.....  this is how you change the default materials for a ceiling plane?  

Oh  I see,  miscommunication,  you are talking about a default ceiling for a room....  I am talking about a SLOPED CEILING PLANE.

It controls the finish layer without the need to build framing.  You could try Default>Framing>FloorX>"Ceiling Structure" or Default>Rooms>Normal Room.  I'm not sure what hierarchy CA uses.  If you go through the framing defaults, then you'll need to add your finish.

jon

It controls the finish layer without the need to build framing.  You could try Default>Framing>FloorX>"Ceiling Structure" or Default>Rooms>Normal Room.  I'm not sure what hierarchy CA uses.  If you go through the framing defaults, then you'll need to add your finish.

jon

It seems that you know what you are talking about.  Here is the challenge,  please post a small plan with the default ROOF PLANE FRAMING material using a BRICK material and the default CEILING FINISH of the ceiling plane to be CERAMIC TILE.

I would like to see if I can open your plan and draw a sloped ceiling plane and get a BRICK MATERIAL for the sloped ceiling framing material,  and a CERAMIC TILE finish for the sloped ceiling finish material.

Thanks Jon

What I suggested originally, Defaults>Floor>Structure>Ceiling etc.

jon

Thanks KT for the effort,  but I do not think you achieved the challenge. What did you not do?

1. The roof plane rafters are not ceramic tile,  they are fir framing  (my ceiling plane framing members are stucco,  why?  I don't know)

2. The ceiling finish does come from the ceiling,  and I get that,  that is what I was getting,  but I was also getting a stucco finish that was z fighting with my CEILING FINISH MATERIAL.

If I don't hear back from headquarters,  I may post the plan to see if you can figuratededed it out.

When I assign USE DEFAULT to a ceiling joist, it assigns FASCIA 1, which is the default material for your roof rafters (DEFAULTS>MATERIALS>RAFTERS). So those two things seem to be tied together.

However, if I delete your ceiling surfaces, add new ones, and build the framing - I get SIDING VERTICAL on the ceiling joists. Weird.

Still no z-fighting, even in Standard View.

Even when I re-assign the default roof rafter material (DEFAULT>FRAMING>MATERIALS>RAFTER), then rebuild your roof framing, it doesn't use the new default material - it uses FASCIA 1.

FASCIA 1 is your default for fascias. So re-assigned this material, rebuilt the roof, still get FASCIA 1 for the rafters.