DianeP

change default best stair riser height

Recommended Posts

I have come across this several times.  Would love to be able to change the best stair riser default from 6 3/4" to 7 1/2".  Any way to do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I am aware of , as there is still no Setting in the Stair Defaults for Risers.

 

It has been requested numerous Times AFAIK though...

 

M.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mick.  Maybe one of these days the upgrade will have it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I have come across this several times.  Would love to be able to change the best stair riser default from 6 3/4" to 7 1/2".  Any way to do this?

 

No, not really.  I suppose you could create a manual stair with the riser height set to 7 1/2" and then copy it into the plan you want but I'm not sure how useful this would be.

 

I am curious about the reasons why you want to do this though.  Most of the time, when your stair is going from one platform to another, the riser height is determined by the overall height difference.  Forcing it to be a different height would mean that it is either going to be too high or too low and then it probably doesn't meet code.  Please explain what you are trying to do and how changing the default riser height would help you solve this.

 

 

Quote

Maybe one of these days the upgrade will have it.  

 

If you want the program to work differently, then I would encourage you to always submit actual feature requests.  We don't monitor the Q&A forum looking for feature requests that may be hidden among the questions.  To make a feature request, you should make a post on the suggestions forum here:

 

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/8-suggestions/

 

 

Quote

It has been requested numerous Times AFAIK though...

 

If by "numerous" you mean exactly once, then you are correct.  And if by "requested", you mean tacked onto someone else's shopping list of stair related feature requests, then yes, it has indeed been requested.  I guess I should really give you some extra credit though because one other person up-voted your request (but I won't give you any for the up-vote above).  Maybe "numerous" means something different in Canada?  :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dermot said:

I am curious about the reasons why you want to do this though.  Most of the time, when your stair is going from one platform to another, the riser height is determined by the overall height difference.  Forcing it to be a different height would mean that it is either going to be too high or too low and then it probably doesn't meet code.


I think the thing most are asking for is the ability to set a different ideal riser height but I’m not sure anyone has fully thought out what that means when combined with the way Chief currently works.  
 

I’m away from my computer right now but as I recall, Chief currently looks for the whole number divisor (Number of Treads) that results in a tread height that is CLOSEST to 6 3/4 inch.  Sometimes that number is greater than the “ideal“ height and sometimes it’s less.  Most codes in the United States don’t spell out an ideal riser height though, what they spec is a MAXIMUM riser height and that maximum riser height is usually somewhere in the neighborhood of the aforementioned 7 1/2.  Being able to adjust that IDEAL height to 7-1/2” though could easily result in a riser height that’s too big.  What I think most of us really want is a different behavior entirely actually—a setting for MAXIMUM ideal riser height that we can set as a default.  Chief would simply carry out the following calculations:

 

TR = Total Rise

 

MR = Max Riser Height (user defined)

 

NT = Number Treads = (TR/MR) rounded up to nearest whole number

 

TR/NT = Automatic Riser Height

 

 

Using Ruby it would look something like:

 

automatic_riser_height=tr((tr/mr).ceil)

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using rise times two plus run equals 25, and 6-3/4 rise, then ideal run is 11-1/2, which is OK for big spacious houses and budgets for special order treads at widths not stocked, but my ideal is 7-1/4 to 7-5/8 rise.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dermot,  Is there anyway you can move/copy this topic and the added comments to the suggestion forum?  Michael and Gene did a good job describing what would be nice to have for the stair dialog.  Love this software!!!!!! Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Using rise times two plus run equals 25, and 6-3/4 rise, then ideal run is 11-1/2, which is OK for big spacious houses and budgets for special order treads at widths not stocked, but my ideal is 7-1/4 to 7-5/8 rise.

 

Yep, ( or in metric 2x Rise plus Run = 600mm)  is the Calc. most Carpenters are taught and I also agree on the approx. 7 1/4 - 7 5/8" Rise which is comfortable for most people, here Treads are 10"min. now, which is tight on some City lots ( 33'x120' ) so can be an issue as there just isn't room for 18 Risers on a 9' Ceiling height.

 

I find I always have to open the Default stair and remove a tread ( but normally 2) to get the flight to my "ideal" rise of 7 1/2" +/- 

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.e1ba459567a7a1e620c16b23f8d438c9.pngimage.thumb.png.be32477f75759cf9fbf122f680853576.png 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 Chief currently looks for the whole number divisor (Number of Treads) that results in a tread height that is CLOSEST to 6 3/4 inch.  

 

 I think you are right  and it would be better if it looked for Closet to 7 1/2" instead 

 

*** just a Note to say if you in your default template you could lock both No# Tread number, and Tread Depth, you could get close to what is needed auto.             

 

M.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

 

 I think you are right  and it would be better if it looked for Closet to 7 1/2" instead             

 

M.


I think you may have missed my point.  Using this logic, a rise of 17-3/4 would result in an 8-7/8” rise.  Similarly, a 78-1/2” rise would result in a non code compliant 7.85” rise.  We would need Chief to not only provide the user definable setting but also change the behavior from “closest to this number in either direction” (as it is now) to “closest below this maximum”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:


I think you may have missed my point.  Using this logic, a rise of 17-3/4 would result in an 8-7/8” rise.  Similarly, a 78-1/2” rise would result in a non code compliant 7.85” rise.  We would need Chief to not only provide the user definable setting but also change the behavior from “closest to this number in either direction” (as it is now) to “closest below this maximum”.

 

If left to Auto perhaps, there will ALWAYS be exceptions to any Rules when something is created auto ( at least until you write a much more complicate Macro :) )

 

 I obviously wouldn't allow a 8 7/8" Rise personally, though it would be allowable in many places ( ie 6" - 9" is acceptable) .

 

I'd like to be able to set my min. tread depth ( 10") and a minimum Riser height ( say 7 1/4" ) and let Chief do the rest....

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28446
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    ShayKD
    Newest Member
    ShayKD
    Joined