jwaldie

Slab on frost walls

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

So I am considering switching from Revit to CA and playing around with the trial. Pretty good so far, though not quite as intuitive as Revit.. though this may be more due to familiarity. Anyway, I am trying to build a raised porch area with a concrete slab that sits on a foundation wall (see attached sketch). There will also be a small gable roof extending out over the porch with posts. I watched a few instructional videos about using a railing to make a porch (not exactly intuitive) but it seems more like a crude workaround and somewhat finicky.

I drew a slab and then drew foundation walls to it, but it doesn't seem to 'snap' or connect to the slab. I manually dragged and changed the wall heights in an elevation view, but again, it doesn't seem to snap to the slab or associate with it. Is there a process that someone could suggest for this? Thanks

 

IMG_6440.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just use invisible walls to define the "room" as a porch. Select the invisible walls and open the DBX, you will see under STRUCTURE an option to add a foundation wall & footing to those walls. Now, even if the walls move, the foundation will follow them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jwaldie said:

So I am considering switching from Revit to CA

 

Why are you considering switching?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jwaldie said:

using a railing to make a porch (not exactly intuitive) but it seems more like a crude workaround and somewhat finicky.

 

Hmm. Works great for me.

 

Not trying to be an ass, but just saying that once you understand how the program works and stop judging it by a foreign standard, it actually does that quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 8:45 PM, Rpadge said:

 

Why are you considering switching?

 

I do more residential projects than commercial and although I appreciate Revit's capabilities, it is more geared towards commercial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 9:21 AM, Chrisb222 said:

 

Hmm. Works great for me.

 

Not trying to be an ass, but just saying that once you understand how the program works and stop judging it by a foreign standard, it actually does that quite well.

 

Thanks for your input and I'm glad to hear it. It's one of those things where you try it out and ask as many questions as possible in the beginning so you're not stuck regretting the time and money invested in making the switch.

I'm not so concerned about judging CA, but more so whether the capabilities are there and whether they built-in functions or if you have to use workarounds to get the desired end result. From the videos I have seen and the little I have used it, it seems like a great program, but to the extent that it is up to me, I want to avoid any regrets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jwaldie said:

 

Thanks for your input and I'm glad to hear it. It's one of those things where you try it out and ask as many questions as possible in the beginning so you're not stuck regretting the time and money invested in making the switch.

I'm not so concerned about judging CA, but more so whether the capabilities are there and whether they built-in functions or if you have to use workarounds to get the desired end result. From the videos I have seen and the little I have used it, it seems like a great program, but to the extent that it is up to me, I want to avoid any regrets.

 

A porch like you are describing is "easy" in Chief.  I made you a quickie "loom" video. Click the link...https://www.loom.com/share/a2dba97a4f2947c4a81c0d21a5b104a6

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jwaldie said:

That's perfect Steve. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the input and video.

 

Glad to help...check out my YouTube page...lots of videos.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SNestor said:

 

Glad to help...check out my YouTube page...lots of videos.

Steve, just curious... Are you switching over to 'loom' from YouTube or just trying it out or something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Steve, just curious... Are you switching over to 'loom' from YouTube or just trying it out or something else?

 

I'm not switching...just saving time. I use it when the answers are "simple"...:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28439
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    JennieT
    Newest Member
    JennieT
    Joined