JenniferK

Line Drawing Rendering of Plan Views

I’m curious if there’s anyway to render plan views in line drawing format? From a sales and marketing perspective we provide 2d plans and line drawing perspectives for “conceptual “ plan fees. And once clients commit to construction drawings and moving ahead with a project , we send more detailed views and plans with dimensions etc.

Many architects will give hand drawn plan views before any hard lined CAD plans and in thinking of following that format , would love  to give “conceptual plans “ a more conceptual “look”. Since all the work is done up front on CA .. in getting all the details of framing  etc done before we start drawing , it would be nice to be able to turn down the detailed plans to look more conceptual ( with pencil smudges etc )  and then turn layers on for the work when charging a 2nd phase fee for construction plans.

This is merely a marketing issue much like we do when presenting as built plans gray scaled out and dull and proposed plans with lots of color and energy ( we change text colors , dimension colors , notes etc. all to present a pallet that significantly reflects the change from their as built home to their potential new home. 

I haven’t found a way to do that in CA. And just wondered if anyone else is Looking  for the same kind of controls of their plan views. 

Thanks for any help or advice. 

Jen K 

www.jenkdesigns.com 

Something like this perhaps ?

image.thumb.png.832c9ffb084c67bce5771c797b2d85c6.png

Top View of Orthographic Floor Overview rendered as Line Drawing and constrained using Cross Section Slider.

Something like this?

ct1.thumb.png.5a806cdd3da1dd863637077d8f1abfa6.png

• Upvote 1

So what is the technique, Eric?  I believe that is precisely what Jen needs.

That, plus a good hand-drawn font for some skimpy notations.  We want to be able to .pdf it.

I am hoping it is something quick and easy.

1 minute ago, GeneDavis said:

So what is the technique, Eric?  I believe that is precisely what Jen needs.

I am hoping it is something quick and easy.

Quite sure it's the same as Chop's suggestion... use of Orthographic Floor Overview, in Top View mode.

A successful guy in my locale always does this, using hand-drawns for all conceptual work.

I know he doesn't do CAD.  He has always employed a "draftsman," and I am pretty sure the work gets done using ACAD.  My guess is that this one, shown below, got done by doing the asbuilt measure, likely by the draftsman with maybe his boss the archy taking photos and writing notes, then the draftsman produces an ACAD layout, and the boss traces it by hand on a light table.

2020-05-23_1707.png

Yep, that's it DzE.  Thanks!  And Eric, thanks for the nice example.

I sometimes do something like this in Chief for a client to better visualize the space in layout form.  It is just a top view ortho with the camera changed to watercolor with lines.

Jorden Layout 3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

I am pretty sure the work gets done using ACAD

Yeah, back when I used ACAD I exported to a program called Squiggle to create the hand sketch look.
Now for conceptual I often do just like Jeff (above) showed, using watercolor with the squiggly lines

11 minutes ago, Designers_Ink said:

I sometimes do something like this in Chief for a client to better visualize the space in layout form.  It is just a top view ortho with the camera changed to watercolor with lines.

Hey Jeff, how'd you get the consistent dark wall fill?  I've tried changing my wall framing and plywood/osb to a dark color to get that effect, but it's never consistent.

I just turned on my Framing layers (wall and sill plate) and painted them black.