Stairs: Lower Section Wider Than Upper Section

wnschoen

If I have exposed treads at a bottom section of stairs, with the rail on one side ending at a wall, then a narrower closed stair at the upper section, what is the best technique to create in Chief, without a huge workaround?  See attached that I created with two separate stair sections in Chief (I've used other techniques as well)  and a photo of what i am talking about in the real world (does not need to be so fancy).

Summary:  Open treads at one side of stair with a rail.  Rail dies into a wall part way up the stair.  Remaining treads going on up are closed.

Thanks.

post-1970-0-46774500-1414010739_thumb.png

post-1970-0-91114600-1414010751_thumb.png

My opinion about such things is to do what is required. Work-around is a concept that many use to decry having to work for a living. Chief usually offers more than one way to get something done (a deffinite plus point). I like that, work-rounds I will leave to those who must complain to and about living Life.

DJP

I concur with David. I never look at this software as "easy" to use, it has issues that need time to learn. The result is really up to the individual and how much time they want to put into it. Best place to learn about these methods is here and in the how library at main Chief site. Best of luck.

sorry to disagree

work-arounds when first discovered can be very elegant and very useful

but their very creation is an indication that the software needs "improvement"

ESPECIALLY, when it is for common items that the software should already have features for

chimneys is a prime example

they have been around for thousands of years

the fact that Chief needs work-arounds to create chimneys is mind-boggling

as I've stated many, many times before workarounds are like fish or house guests

after about three releases they begin to "stink"

Lew

I also disagree.  I think Chief is VERY easy to use, especially if you take the time to set up templates, etc.  I just always find it strange when a very standard construction detail (like these stairs, chimneys, etc.) is not 'there in Chief'.  

My first inkling when I don't find an 'easy' way to do something is that I am just not looking hard enough, which brought me here. 

Thanks!

This might get you started. Basically, it's two stair sections, as Joey mentioned, each with a separate landing. The lower section is defined as a winder, and there is a pony wall between the sections to fill in the gap created by breaking the stairs into two separate sections. There are still issues, such as the newel on the second tread instead of the first; and of course the fancy paneling and balusters, etc. There are probably better methods - I'm no stair guru.

test stair.plan

post-95-0-67436300-1414074289_thumb.png

You might want to check out this thread https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2295-fantastic-new-solution-found-re-how-do-you-show-partial-open-railing-stairs-and-how-to-show-the-door-to-the-basement-stairs-underneath/ from a few weeks back. Ignore all the discussion at the beginning (I was the original poster on this one) and look at Joe Carrick's method for stiars with landings , or GlennW's method (shown as the "solution found" answer) if you don't happen to have a landing.

Hope this helps.

Phyllis

• Upvote 1