Sloping exterior soffits

JeremyBrownlee

Does anyone know how to create sloping exterior soffits. I am trying to slope the soffit at a different angle than the roof, back down to the exterior wall. I have tried using the soffit tool, slabs, solids but I cannot get any of those to work for me. Something similar to the picture below. Any help would be much appreciated!

simple-modern-roof-design2.thumb.jpg.b2b0667ba553e83fbea734f61d451d6b.jpg

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to use roof planes.

Can you supply the information about the roof geometry - how are they setout?.

How is the soffit a different angle to the roof?

What does "back down to the exterior wall" mean?

• Upvote 1

Use the 'sloped soffit' checkbox in the soffit dbx per the attached pic.
However, it appears to me you only need to use roof planes.   In the picture you provided the roof and ceiling are the same slope... they may appear that they aren't due to perspective foreshortening.

sloped soffit.JPG

Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess the picture I chose doesn't show what I am actually trying to do. The original drawing was done in 2D CAD but the client would like a 3D for advertising purposes. I have attached a PDF file and jpeg showing the plan view and the front and side elevation, hopefully this clears up exactly what I am asking.

Soffits don't seem to work as they only follow the roof pitch. 

DG1949 made a point about a Frieze profile, I may have to give that a try.

CHIEF SLOPING SOFFITS .pdf

CHIEF SLOPING SOFFITS .jpg

I

1 hour ago, JeremyBrownlee said:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess the picture I chose doesn't show what I am actually trying to do. The original drawing was done in 2D CAD but the client would like a 3D for advertising purposes. I have attached a PDF file and jpeg showing the plan view and the front and side elevation, hopefully this clears up exactly what I am asking.

Soffits don't seem to work as they only follow the roof pitch. 

DG1949 made a point about a Frieze profile, I may have to give that a try.

CHIEF SLOPING SOFFITS .pdf

CHIEF SLOPING SOFFITS .jpg

As Glenn mentioned...I believe you will have to try to use either a roof plane or a ceiling plane to create the sloping soffit.  I'm thinking you may also have to manipulate the "baseline" also...as it appears the pitch is constantly changing.  Probably not the easiest thing to accomplish in Chief.  

Here's my trial and error method... which for a 'picture' of the building is probably close enough.  I'm sure there's a mathematical equation or drafting methodology that someone might know, but for me it's trial and error.  Per your drawings, first build your main roof at 2:12, then copy-paste-in-place the roof and lock ridge height on this copy and change the pitch of the copy to 12:12.  Drag this new roof planes lower edge up so it is just area of the overhang. Now you've got the sloping soffit for the level side of the roof.  For the side soffits this is where more challenging trial and error comes in.  Again copy-p.i.p. the main roof plane, lock the copy's ridge height and change the pitch to 10:12 or thereabouts (it'll be a lower pitch than the front soffits 12:12 pitch) then rotate and move that copy so that it bisects the main roof as close to the edge of the main roofs eave as you can get it.  After you've done that reshape this roof piece so it's only the size of the overhang and then fine tune the pitch so it hits the wall at the same height as the 12:12 soffit.  You could get the proper pitch using a cad detail of the front elevation... or again use trial and error. 

slopesoffit.JPG