Wall materials suddenly changing on me

CElder

All of a sudden, recently, my wall materials are freaking out on me!  I've attached a sample plan file that I had just started working on.  My default settings are for siding exterior, drywall interior of exterior walls and drywall both sides of interior walls.  I couldn't make it happen this time but occasionally, both sides of an interior wall will come up with siding on them.

Along the same lines, notice the siding on the two walls where a porch is indicated.  The siding changes to a different color and profile when I create a porch room on the outside.

Can anyone offer any insight on why this is happening?

Thanks!

crazywalls.plan

4 hours ago, CElder said:

All of a sudden, recently, my wall materials are freaking out on me!  I've attached a sample plan file that I had just started working on.  My default settings are for siding exterior, drywall interior of exterior walls and drywall both sides of interior walls.  I couldn't make it happen this time but occasionally, both sides of an interior wall will come up with siding on them.

Along the same lines, notice the siding on the two walls where a porch is indicated.  The siding changes to a different color and profile when I create a porch room on the outside.

Can anyone offer any insight on why this is happening?

Thanks!

crazywalls.plan

Casey...

Looks like you have a couple of problems...

- Like Javatom states above...the exterior "wall type" is defined with a "zero" thickness.  Change to at least 1/2" for siding.

- The walls that separate the garage from the house appear to have been "painted".  The siding is not the "default" material.  You should open the wall for specification...select the "exterior wall surface"...click "select material"...select "plan materials"....scroll to the top of the list and select "default".  Repeat for the interior wall surface.  

Or...just delete the walls and draw in new interior walls.

SEE PICS ATTACHED...

- EXTERIOR WALL TYPE:

2019-12-12_22-40-39.thumb.png.b129dc1359f5b4bbaf4379e2e67866b6.png

WALL BETWEEN HOUSE/GARAGE:

2019-12-12_22-41-39.thumb.png.ebaab3693fef82da2e8fba2f4f9cd01a.png  2019-12-12_22-42-09.thumb.png.7d0d2300fd8e8c50a2a56499655daf83.png

Steve and Java are correct it seems all of your Wall Definitions starting with 0_  have the Siding set to 0" thick

Your Ext. Standard 2x4 and 2x6 Walls are the correct Setup.

The Default Ext.Wall is currently 0_Exterior 3.5 which is incorrectly setup as noted above.

You Default interior Wall is setup correctly , so the issues noted are likely from using the SprayCan Tool as Steve mentioned.

M.

I have my exterior material (siding) layer set to "0" on purpose.  When I started using the program, my dimension snaps would change on me all the time from the frame dimension to the outside of the siding.  My boss was getting really angry with all the "mistakes", so setting that material layer to "0" has solved that problem and works fine for what we do.  I only work for one builder and that's how he wants the drawing to look. If you think that has something to do with why this is happening, please explain.  If not, please don't judge.

I did not go in and use the material painter on those walls.  When I drew them, that's how they came up.  The entire reason for my post is that I don't understand why they aren't being drawn with the default materials on them in the first place.  I shouldn't have to go in and change every wall back to "default" after I draw it.  What is the point of having a default setting if the wall doesn't default to the setting?

You could use proper walls with siding, etc. and then have a plan set that has “Walls, Main Layer Only” showing that you can do dimensioning on.  (You can even turn off all your casings in this set for a really clean look.)  The dimensioning should only pick up the proper main layer locations.  This will give you the nice clean plan that your boss wants and still give you siding and finishes on the elevations and sections.

I'm not sure why some of your walls have changed to siding if you haven’t used the paint can at all.  I did have a problem in x10 with old plans coming from x9 but they resolved that in an update.

Casey,

At some stage, did you select the "exterior room" and change the material of the external walls - that could explain why the internal Porch walls are different - because, for the purposes of the "External Room", they are internal walls.

The External Room goes around the Porch and includes the railing wall.

This would also explain why the external wall material in the wall that houses the garage hinged door is a different material for the garage door part and the part inside the porch, even though it is only one wall - changing the External Room wall material is the only way I know this can happen (having two materials on the one wall).

Select the External Room and set it's material back to default.

That should sort out all the external walls.

I also think this is connected to the internal wall problem as well - I can get the internal walls to behave by pulling back the wall edge from the left hand side of the garage door and then dragging it back to it's original position.

One other thing I noticed is that you have 4 materials all called Herringbone?

1359929455_ScreenShot2019-12-14at11_44_00am.thumb.png.5cd4c47ba67a51514370be19859712cb.png

1548975280_NewImage_44.thumb.jpg.9257d70e35fd76f6bfeb84a45de56385.jpg

7 hours ago, CElder said:

When I started using the program, my dimension snaps would change on me all the time from the frame dimension to the outside of the siding. 

My guess would be you were inadvertently sometimes in 1/2" dimension default which has the Dimensions set to locate Surfaces by default ( like NKBA Settings) whereas 1/4" Default uses the Wall Dimension Layer ( framing ) for Dims. by Default

7 hours ago, CElder said:

The entire reason for my post is that I don't understand why they aren't being drawn with the default materials on them in the first place.

You Default Exterior Wall Materials don't match the Wall definition......ie they are set differently ( Herringbone)  than the Default Wall Definition which Uses Gray1Siding

image.thumb.png.678e1f2d0ea594c219b95f5e1c0e6c11.png

image.thumb.png.88c821fc150f41b9d3d9d7089bc3375c.pngimage.thumb.png.ac9075e77da447fc1819cf22c8e32832.png 

Mick.