Behavior Of Custom Library Items

4hotshoez

How can I make a cooktop modeled in Sketchup or primitives automatically snap to a base cabinet and cut a hole in the counter like a sink does? Chief does recognize other library parts this way, Is it in the way I import a model?

Ok, it will insert, but how do I get it to sit into the cut opening that was created and can I reduce the hole slightly?

Todd,  Adjust the z-origin value in the 3D Tab of the Symbol dbx to move it up or down.  There is also a set of values for sizing that should adjust the hole size.

Todd,  Adjust the z-origin value in the 3D Tab of the Symbol dbx to move it up or down.  There is also a set of values for sizing that should adjust the hole size.

Thanks that worked, but how do I get access to adjust the counter top? After lowering the cooktop the cut hole is now a triangle rather than a rectangle.

post-2194-0-67150500-1412700449_thumb.png

Thanks that worked, but how do I get access to adjust the counter top? After lowering the cooktop the cut hole is now a triangle rather than a rectangle.

Todd,  Can you export your Symbol and post that file (calibz)?  I will take a look and see what I can do with it.

Another option would be to ignore "inserting into counter top" and just deal with the z-origin.  Just set it down far enough that it still sits high enough to obscure the counter top.

BTW, usually a symbol that is designed to insert into a counter top should have a rectangular solid just slightly larger than the object to act as an "Inserted Counter" and it should have a material designation of "Counter Top" so you can adjust the material.

OK Todd,  I added a Custom Counter Top to your Symbol (a full rectangle with a hole in it so the lower part of Cooktop around the burners would be recessed.  Then I created a new symbol from it.  You will note in the pic that the Counter Top of the new symbol is just a light beige.  When you put it in a Cabinet you need to paint or edit that to match your Counter.

post-47-0-54560600-1412704537_thumb.jpg

CooktopGas-Todd's.calibz

You can do it.  Just takes some work.  In this situation, the undermount farm sink 3D came from Kohler, and I edited the countertop hole to be right for the sink, per Kohler's installation instruction specs.  The symbol's origin is set so it sits out proud of the front with the apron tight to the cab's faceframe, and underneath the 5cm countertop.

That line you see across the top of the apron lip is the cabinet front telegraphing through the sink.

post-55-0-96686500-1412704692_thumb.png

So let me see if I understand what you did. You took my symbol and added a custom countertop and placed a hole for the cooktop, then made it a symbol together and now it should insert to a cabinet correctly? Then I will only need to change the color of the top.

So let me see if I understand what you did. You took my symbol and added a custom countertop and placed a hole for the cooktop, then made it a symbol together and now it should insert to a cabinet correctly? Then I will only need to change the color of the top.

That's correct.  Insert into Countertop cuts a rectangular hole the same size as the Symbol.  So if your symbol isn't a perfect rectangle, you need the Counter Top to be a part of the Symbol.

Awesome! It works great. Is there any reason it would not cut a hole properly the first time I inserted? BTW, how did you place the cooktop in a counter top? Did you create a counter top with a hole then move the cooktop into place? Was the counter height important?

Ahhh......

The problem was that the cabinet was only 36" wide and the Cooktop was also 36" wide.  By creating a long custom counter top the cooktop inserts into the wider counter just fine.  You probably want to make the cabinet wider by a couple of inches if you can.