Arielle_02

Importing a 3D plan from Sketchup to Chief Architect and work on Chief Architect

Hello,

I imported a 3D plan drew on Sketchup on Chief Architect 11.  I would like to add cabinets to the plan, how can I do that?  It looks like when I drag the file to Chief Architect it imported it as a symbol not as a 3D drawing.

Thank you for your help,

It is not the ideal situation but depending on your desired result it may work.  Just be sure that the floor level of your model is at 0' and you will not be able to use all of the features of Chief Architect for this method but if you are just looking for some illustrations it may work out ok.  Likely would be better to redraw in Chief or export the cabinets to Sketchup.

Chief and Sketchup dont work that way. It may....M A Y ....be remotely possible, but not without a lot of work-arounds.

Also might be helpful to remove the fill from or increase the fill transparency of your symbol's 2D cad block so you can have some idea of where you are placing your cabinets.

I use both in every project and cannot imagine doing what you want to do.

What's your need?  3D renders?  Kitchen and bath plans, elevations, and details?  Construction docs?

i use SU to do staircase workouts, create furniture amd fixtures, and do framing elements Chief cannot do as readily as with SU.

Show us what you have and we can offer better help.

The only snaps you get from an imported SU model is at the bounding corners and centerpoints of edges, and only in plan view.

Thank you all for your answers. 

@GeneDavis I received a 3D from Sketchup to work on a Kitchen, I was wondering if I can import it on Chief Architect and work directly on the 3D.

@Chopsaw How can I remove it?  I saw it.  Thanks I never thought of exporting cabinets from Chief Architect to sketchup

Why not just draw the plan in Chief? Quick to do and then you have all the advantages that Chief brings.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Arielle_02 said:

Hello,

I imported a 3D plan drew on Sketchup on Chief Architect 11.  I would like to add cabinets to the plan, how can I do that?  It looks like when I drag the file to Chief Architect it imported it as a symbol not as a 3D drawing.

Thank you for your help,

Post the Sketchup model and I’ll see if I can make a video with some quick tips.  

I could do a Chief-drawn kitchen from a Sketchup-drawn one in 30 minutes or less.

SU model in one window, Chief in another.  SU's tape measure is the tool used.

Chief is ridiculously rich in features for building the cabinets to any config, then lighting the room, putting appliances in cabinets, oh, and moldings.

3 hours ago, Arielle_02 said:

@Chopsaw How can I remove it?  I saw it. 

Likely easiest and would use less resources to just deselect Fill or you could bump the Transparency up to something like 70 or 80%.

2D block Transparency.JPG