Best Computers to use for Chief Architect X10 or X11

DiStefano

I been using chief architect X10 on my Macbook Pro 2015. It has a processor of 2.2 GHz  and memory of 16 GB. I barely have anything on this computer and chief been acting up by randomly quitting. 

Is there a specific computer brand and type that is recommended that I wont run into problems like what is occurring?

Please let me know if there is a computer that has been working perfectly fine while running X10 or even the X11.

Search the forum, lots of info on laptops, computers, stress test. If using a laptop you need one that is not prone to thermal throttling since Chief is highly CPU dependant. A quick search turns up quite a few complaints about throttling on those machines. Check what clock speed your CPU is at when running Chief, might be an issue. 

10 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

I was wondering if I upgraded my SSD, would I see an improvement in some areas of Chief?

Was looking at changing from my 850  to the 970

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Samsung-850-Pro-512GB/m494791vs3478

The 970 is likely 4-5 time faster ( 550vs 3000mb/s) but whether you really notice it in everyday use I am not sure ? perhaps for Undo etc yes.

You need to however make sure your Motherboard can use a 970 NVME Drive as it needs an M2 Slot unlike the 850 Pro which is a SATA3 SSD , you could however add a Riser Card with the m2 slot if needed and plug it into a spare PCIe Slot. I use a $20 Riser card with a Spare 960 NVME and it works fine...

M.

3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

I was wondering if I upgraded my SSD, would I see an improvement in some areas of Chief?

Was looking at changing from my 850  to the 970

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-970-Evo-NVMe-PCIe-M2-1TB-vs-Samsung-850-Pro-512GB/m494791vs3478

I did the same upgrade a couple years ago and definitely noticed an improvement for day in day out drafting in CA as well as Library browsing...it also made a difference in the OS and loading programs as it should. Not a huge difference but a marked difference for sure

13 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I did the same upgrade a couple years ago and definitely noticed an improvement for day in day out drafting in CA as well as Library browsing...it also made a difference in the OS and loading programs as it should. Not a huge difference but a marked difference for sure

Looks like I have one M.2 slot.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97A-GAMING-7/Specification

Thanks Mick

26 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Looks like I have one M.2 slot.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97A-GAMING-7/Specification

Thanks Mick

Do you have the Retaining Screw for the M2 though?  was it installed ? you may need to ask whoever built your computer for one if not...... if you look in Rene's pic you can see where it goes at the LH end , the drive goes in at a 30-45° angle , then you snap it down and retain it flat with the screw.  No NVME drive I have gotten has ever come with one.

I use Macrium Reflect Free to Clone my SSDs and HDDs BTW

M.

Yes, the screw is on the last peg, Came that way. I bought all the componits& assembled the computer myself so I do have some spare parts. 

I think I cloned the operating system using Samsung software if I remember correctly.  Will take a look at Macrium Reflect.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Yes, the screw is on the last peg, Came that way. I bought all the componits& assembled the computer myself so I do have some spare parts. 

I think I cloned the operating system using Samsung software if I remember correctly.  Will take a look at Macrium Reflect.

Thanks

Make sure to make the MR Rescue Disk, (use a USB Drive or CDRW and refresh it each new MR Version)  it's what will save you down the line , I let it run twice a week on a Schedule after hours to make a backup image as well to an External USB Drive.

Where the Samsung software sometime fails in my experience is when Cloning OS Drives ...they are not always bootable afterwards...just my experience , MR actually has a "fix windows Boot issues" menu item on the Rescue CDRW if you ever need it.

M.