X6 Layout question

tommy1

My advice is to never use box scale because it won't be right for check plots or fit to paper.

Doug,

Why would you say that we should never use box_scale?

If I send to Layout, I'm sending to a specific sheet size at a specific scale.  The box_scale macro reflect that exactly and I don't print the Layout at a different sheet size.  If I want to print to a different sheet size then I'll send to a layout that's set to that sheet size.

Check prints I send directly from the Plan so the scale macro is fine for that - but I personally am not worried about the scale of chec prints.  At that point I'm just using them for markup anyway.

Perhaps you don't prefer to use box_scale but IMO it's not good to advise users to never use it.

Doug,

Why would you say that we should never use box_scale?

If I send to Layout, I'm sending to a specific sheet size at a specific scale.  The box_scale macro reflect that exactly and I don't print the Layout at a different sheet size.  If I want to print to a different sheet size then I'll send to a layout that's set to that sheet size.

Check prints I send directly from the Plan so the scale macro is fine for that - but I personally am not worried about the scale of chec prints.  At that point I'm just using them for markup anyway.

Perhaps you don't prefer to use box_scale but IMO it's not good to advise users to never use it.

Here also Joe, I have always used the box scale and never had any problems with it- ever. I just like it better and never want it changed but they

should fix the scale for Tommy and others, that use it.

I don't understand how anyone would want the wrong scale to be printed. I suppose if you never print a check plot or 1/2 or 1/4 scale output you wouldn't care, but if you always use %scale% you will always get the correct scale when printing. Even though it isn't changing in layout views it still does print correctly. While I can understand your confusion as to why it changes when you zoom, that should be reassuring that it will display an accurate scale regardless of what paper you choose to print on.

But if you don't care, you don't care. For those that do, we have an option.

The attached layout shows how easy it is to get the wrong scale. This was a 1/2 scale printout. The %box_scale% is wrong. %scale% is correct.

If this doesn't bother you feel free to use %box_scale%. If it does bother you then use %scale%. Unfortunately, you can't use %scale% in the label as that will report the layout scale not the scale of the view.

ScaledLayout.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Tommy,

I have used the %scale% for a good while, too.  I place it in my plan on each floor/elevation/section and it would always update on the LAYOUT page as I scrolled in & out, but now it only displays the current zoom level you have the PLAN file set to. 

OMG! When I first read this, I immediately thought of the plan that I had already had printed and delivered using X6 that will be screwed up, having no Idea the function of the %scale% Macro had been changed!! (Yeah, something else to have to check closer.)

But, reviewing the PDF files I sent to the print shop, I found that the CORRECT SCALE was sent to the PDF files and therefore the scales all printed correctly

For those of you slamming Tommy, I use the %scale% command on my PLAN file/elevations/sections so I can see, in REAL WORLD SIZE, how the information will display on the final prints.  This is especially helpful in areas where there is a lot of text crammed into a small drawing area.

Tommy, I also place the %scale% macro on my Layout Template (one in each corner), just outside the print area, so I can zoom to a real world view to see if I have any areas that are too congested to be easily read when printed...for those items placed directly to a Layout page from the Library.

• 1 year later...

Here is something to consider when deciding whether to use the %scale% macro (in Plan) or the %box_scale%  in Layout:

Send a  plan to layout at 1/4" scale. (first PDF)

In this plan, a Text Box is being used for the view name (Roof Framing) and to the right is the %scale% macro.

In Layout, the Layout %box_scale% macro has been placed under the view name, and in this way we are able to see both macros at work in the same view.  Note that at this scale (1/4")  the text of both macros is the same size and appear correct relative to the view name.

Now, in layout, rescale the view from 1/4" to 1/8" scale, and print (or save) to PDF (see the second PDF).

The first thing to notice is that both macros return the correct value; the drawing scale. So from this all-important standpoint, there appears to be no reason to choose one over the other.

But now take look at the text size for each macro. Whereas the %scale% macro automatically resized (along with the view name), the %box_scale% macro did not. As a result, the %box_scale% text is now too large for the view and will have to be resized (an additional step). Unfortunately, control of the text size for the Layout Box Label is at the Layer Set level, and not with each individual Layout Box. So in changing the text size for one Layout Box Label, you change it for all Layout Box Labels, which would likely produce unacceptable results elsewhere in the plan set. (someone correct me if I am wrong about this)

Just as importantly, if I send my 11"X 17" Drawing Sheet to print on, let's say 8 1/2" X 11", the %scale% macro yields/prints the correct value (the actual drawing scale) while the %box-scale% macro does not. (see the third PDF). This, to me, is a huge plus.

I, too, was sold on the %box-scale% before I discovered the benefits, including the accuracy and the flexibility, of the %scale% macro. Unless I am missing something, it looks like the %scale% macro is the much better choice all the way around. 

1 Simle X7 Plan-Layout 1.4.pdf

2 Simle X7 Plan-Layout 1.8.pdf

3 Simle X7 Plan-Layout Check Plot.pdf

I can see a way that both could be used.  I already have several different Layer Sets that I use for my Layout(s) depending on Sheet Size and for "working" vs "printing".

So by adding another set for "reduced prints" I could use the %scale% macro

• 1 year later...

I am trying to place the scale macro into a layout template and it changes numbers when you zoom in and out. When I print the plan it shows a scale of 1' = 1" but my plan is 1/4" I am not sure how to make this pull of the plan scale.