Polyline Tools

Joe_Carrick

I use it often when editing or combining terrain feature surfaces. It is extremely awkward though, and the proper way would be to be able to cut polylines and control and merge anchor points. This is one area where I wish Chief would do rapid progress.

Michael,

So what you are saying is that for Polylines you use the Polyline Union Tool and for Polyline Solids you use mostly the Polyline Solid Intersection and Subtraction Tools.  Is that correct?

That is correct Joe. Sorry, I wasn't really thinking the tools had different names for 2D vs. 3D work, but you're right.

Do you use the Polyline Union, Intersection & Subtraction Tools? 

I've only used the Polyline Union Tool to create "Built-Up Molding Profiles" but it would be interesting to see what other users do.

I use all three all the time,  union,  intersection and subtraction.  i use the for terrain tool,  roofs,  and probably many  more things I cannot think of right now.

That is correct Joe. Sorry, I wasn't really thinking the tools had different names for 2D vs. 3D work, but you're right.

I think it's a bit strange.  We have the boolean operations tools for Polylines, Polyline Solids, & Solids but none of them work together even though the same icons are used.

We also have Blocking Operations for CAD Blocks, Architectural Blocks, & Mulling Windows all of which are very similar and the icons are only different colors.

You know...I just remembered something I previously thought of doing that hasn't come up again since I thought of it...

Using the subtraction tool for heavy timber framing (or actually any kind of complex joinery.. You could essentially make all your cuts in 3D, and then separate the pieces and make a sort of visual 3D cut list.

That's all. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix while I was thinking about it.