Creating Stone Fence with Columns and Caps

oc2393oc

2 hours ago, oc2393oc said:

Still fairly new to Chief Architect and wanted to ask for the best approach to designing a stone fence with periodic columns and caps.

Similar to the attached pic.

Any videos that may describe this?

FencewithColumns.thumb.JPG.a86dd884ab95e418ab6a7d7b677a0282.JPG

Using a Wall with a railing on top or a PonyWall seems to work.... but it's more work than it should be....  the pyramid Caps would need to be done manually , though I guess you could make a Newel symbol with the Cap and use it to automatically add the Cap.

image.thumb.png.491abbc42ed3e4bed7e721b275dcc7d9.pngimage.thumb.png.e7f4e35f5762a621b63abeaf68d4bbbb.png

Depending on how accurate you need to be.

This was created with the Fence tool in a minute or so.

Panels for the iron work (from the library), rail to post, a large (3 foot high) bottom rail for the stone base, 18" square balusters.

Caps from the library. 

New Image_118.jpg

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

Don't you mean Newels/Posts?

Nice work.

I think so , that's how I did one of mine too...

Fences follow Terrain but don't allow use of the WallCap Tab I'd hoped to use for the Stope Wall top, but for the Newels, Cap No#6 from the Library enlarged and made concrete works nicely. ( Save to Library for future use too.)

*** Either Switch to the Terrain Toolbar Configuration or Add Fence Tools to your Toolbar as Fences are on the Terrain Menu Bar.

M.

image.thumb.png.c2ac8f509997f9d03aa9849fa885c30c.png

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Fences follow Terrain

Good point, "Fencing" wouldn't be a great way to create a wall like that on sloping terrain.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Fences are on the Terrain Menu Bar.

They're also available on the main "Build" menu.

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

Good point, "Fencing" wouldn't be a great way to create a wall like that on sloping terrain.

They're also available on the main "Build" menu.

Ooops...... I meant they are NOT on the Terrain MenuBar , (corrected)  so I added the Fence tools to my Standard Toolbar config.

I was thinking Following Terrain was good actually , you should likely switch to Step Terrain though , ( the Fence Steps not the Terrain , don't worry ) which is how walls and Fences are normally done.... it's not perfect in this case though...

image.thumb.png.fe3b46216891f04a17be1f196fb3de2e.png