#1 laptop to be used with Chief?

EGerace

39 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

CA does a ton of read writing and memory spikes galore...whereas you just wont see that much difference between the same gfx/mem/HD hardware system with one being a 4ghz 8 core and the other a 3ghz quad core...YET,  you'll see a world of difference between an SSD with low ram vs an NVME primary, SSD secondary, with tons of RAM and a RAMDISK plus a larger page file on the second drive.

An ultrabook, setup with a lot of RAM and NVME's can smoke a gaming computer in PRODUCTIVITY in my opinion...I am so much faster on an iPad remotely connected to my laptop than on my laptop itself....b/c of the touch screen.

see screener:

1759603188_resourceallocation.thumb.PNG.f8e352b3359fa2df537b92252fa3b052.PNG

20 min sample of me working and CPU usage is very low on the whole but read writes and HD activity are huge

Again, I don't doubt your analysis, just wish Chief had some verification somewhere to make buying a new system easier. Referring to older posts/articles by Chief about not requiring that much RAM because Chief doesn't/can't access it and your experience showing the more RAM the better...

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Again, I don't doubt your analysis, just wish Chief had some verification somewhere to make buying a new system easier. Referring to older posts/articles by Chief about not requiring that much RAM because Chief doesn't/can't access it and your experience showing the more RAM the better...

More RAM the better for utilizing it to increase page files on secondary slow drives and RAMdisk partitions for better read write speeds- not because I need more memory for CA(I need it for other programs running while CA is taking up its fair share of RAM)

19 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

More RAM the better for utilizing it to increase page files on secondary slow drives and RAMdisk partitions for better read write speeds- not because I need more memory for CA(I need it for other programs running while CA is taking up its fair share of RAM)

256 GB PCIe NVMe solid state drive

I upgraded this to a TB and I think I may have lost the NVME when they did it. How can I check?

Edited by builtright3
Clarification

1 minute ago, builtright3 said:

I upgraded this to a TB and I think I may have lost the NVME when they did it. How can I check?

nvme uses the m.2 slot, as opposed to a standard SATA port that an SSD would use...so if you upgraded than it should still be an NVME, though not all NVME's are created equal- they are still faster than SSDs by a lot

13 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

nvme uses the m.2 slot, as opposed to a standard SATA port that an SSD would use...so if you upgraded than it should still be an NVME, though not all NVME's are created equal- they are still faster than SSDs by a lot

My tech told me it should still be the same. I'm going to see him soon and I will verify that stuff.

I

29 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

It could have Both ...nvme for the OS and the 1TB for Data/storage , many laptops do.

The 1TB in your sig. is a HDD not an SSD though.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FireCuda-Gaming-Solid-Hybrid/dp/B01IEKG484

Are you using the mini-displaport for the external monitor?

Edit : forgot to say device manager should show the installed Disk Drives

image.thumb.png.63310ed51cb93307d470643e30fdfdc6.png

21 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It could have Both ...nvme for the OS and the 1TB for Data/storage , many laptops do.

The 1TB in your sig. is a HDD not an SSD though.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FireCuda-Gaming-Solid-Hybrid/dp/B01IEKG484

Are you using the mini-displaport for the external monitor?

Edit : forgot to say device manager should show the installed Disk Drives

image.thumb.png.63310ed51cb93307d470643e30fdfdc6.png

I have both (SSD and Standard) I have everything on the SSD drive and nothing on the standard

Capture.thumb.PNG.c3cfdebff013fadee57b67ce29ba5551.PNG

8 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

I have both (SSD and Standard) I have everything on the SSD drive and nothing on the standard

Capture.thumb.PNG.c3cfdebff013fadee57b67ce29ba5551.PNG

Looks like the 1TB HDD got swapped for a 1TB Sata SSD ?    SDD is faster for sure but you should have a 256 NVME Disk too

either that or you have 2 x 1TB drives ? 1 Sata SSD and 1 HDD (Hybrid)

3 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Here are both of my drives. I'm not using the smaller one at all

Capture3.thumb.PNG.facdbcf0e8d379206f463098b5da76e7.PNG

Capture1.thumb.PNG.823c5e2aa3c1abf0d608a7443c7ad92b.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.dcc748d24f0d6e522672278622bcb817.PNG

hmm very fishy, I can't think of any reason other than to scam that your 256gb NVME would no longer be in your system-thats just flat out wrong...someone may have taken advantage of you

6 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Here are both of my drives. I'm not using the smaller one at all

Capture3.thumb.PNG.facdbcf0e8d379206f463098b5da76e7.PNG

Capture1.thumb.PNG.823c5e2aa3c1abf0d608a7443c7ad92b.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.dcc748d24f0d6e522672278622bcb817.PNG

So You have 2 SSDs neither of them NVME , both are SATA , so your system specs , don't match your Sig. The EVO is faster than the WD SSD though.

You can use the 2nd Drive to run backups to or even Image the 1st drive too for emergencies.....

I would have the Evo as the Storage Drive and get a 500GB 970NVME for the m2 slot....

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

hmm very fishy, I can't think of any reason other than to scam that your 256gb NVME would no longer be in your system-thats just flat out wrong...someone may have taken advantage of you

Yes, or they dont know what they are doing.

Either way I wont accuse him because we have had a long time good relationship but I will demand that he makes it right.

5 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Either way I wont accuse him because we have had a long time good relationship but I will demand that he makes it right.

m2 isn't always NVME , some are combo Ports that can use NVME or SATA drives in the 2280 Format...

But assuming you have the Strix Scar II 15" GL504GM  it seems it had a NVME drive as per your sig.

image.thumb.png.a4ac2bbe696536a7d7caa4a4c3d49275.png

4 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

It would be a clever scam, 90 out of 100 consumers have never heard of an NVME drive and wouldn't know that it was missing and then could make a quick $100

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

m2 isn't always NVME , some are combo Ports that can use NVME or SATA drives in the 2280 Format...

But assuming you have the Strix Scar II 15" GL504GM  it seems it had a NVME drive as per your sig.

image.thumb.png.a4ac2bbe696536a7d7caa4a4c3d49275.png

Yes it did have it as original