Can't get corners to join

Richard_Morrison

I had a little spare time before I need to head out, so I decided to make you a video with my quick thoughts on the subject...

https://youtu.be/4xFdGgjhGtA

Those split levels definitely ARE a pain though. 

There's a chance I changed something you won't quite like since its really not my plan and I'm not sure why you did various things.  Regardless, hopefully there are some tips in there that will help you out.  It's definitely easier to deal with when you're the one the drew the plan though, because you know what is what, what is supposed to be where, and why its supposed to be where it is : )

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I've reached my limit here. This is an existing house I'm trying to model, and the split levels are kicking my butt. I've pretty much got it except for one corner, as shown. Anyone have any ideas? (Did I mention I hate doing split levels in Chief?)

Corner issue.zip

Corner Problem.png

Hi Richard ,I just opened the Plan to have a quick look, I don't believe it's related but noticed the wall at the front of the house at the Kitchen/dining room is not at 180°

I am also not sure if that same wall should line up with the Master and Bedroom2 Wall , they are about a Wall width off at the moment.

image.thumb.png.87c5ccd32a11b934b2c130222d4b761d.png

M.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, guys! I really appreciate your looking at this and offering suggestions. I think that Michael has it correct; it was the landing that started this whole downward path for me since I didn't realize what mischief it could cause. I don't how you were able to suss out these issues so quickly.  But thank you.

Kbird: Yeah, that's how the wall is in reality. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

It's been my experience that many many walls on existing homes are not square and it gives the framers fits to have to cut rafters all differently

Yeah I come across it too but I haven't seen one that far out.... I thought CA was experiencing a glitch at 1st as everything looked jagged :)

And we all know how whiny those Framers are .... :)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Oh Wow :) ..... HomeOwner remodel ? :)

Maybe, but not these homeowners. 7" is a lot to be out of square from one side of a room to another. I used a laser, and there was a lot of head-scratching at first, since you don't really notice it until you know about it. My clients had no idea, either, but weren't hugely surprised. Cabinets don't place as easily in Chief with just slightly angled walls. Overall, one of my least favorite existing houses to draw in recent memory.

18 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I had a little spare time before I need to head out, so I decided to make you a video with my quick thoughts on the subject...

https://youtu.be/4xFdGgjhGtA

Those split levels definitely ARE a pain though. 

There's a chance I changed something you won't quite like since its really not my plan and I'm not sure why you did various things.  Regardless, hopefully there are some tips in there that will help you out.  It's definitely easier to deal with when you're the one the drew the plan though, because you know what is what, what is supposed to be where, and why its supposed to be where it is : )

Nice video and very informative.

2 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Maybe, but not these homeowners. 7" is a lot to be out of square from one side of a room to another. I used a laser, and there was a lot of head-scratching at first, since you don't really notice it until you know about it. My clients had no idea, either, but weren't hugely surprised. Cabinets don't place as easily in Chief with just slightly angled walls. Overall, one of my least favorite existing houses to draw in recent memory.

I can imagine , I was thinking the cabinets would be an issue , and not just for you....it'd be an installer's nightmare but luckily it is at the "most" square corner :)