Hello,

I am having an issue with layer sets for elevation views not showing correctly on layout. I am trying to accomplish a one page layout with live (color) views of different versions on one elevation. I want four versions of the same elevation on one page.

I made layers for window shutters and corbels. For the default elevation layer set "section view set" I turned on shutters. Then I made a new layer set, a copy of "section view set" but renamed it "Elev B-Corbels" and turned off the shutters and turned corbels on. I sent two elevations to layout, one from each layer set. 

Then I saved the same plan as a new name to change the gable siding to shakes. (I don't think this can be done just by using layers, but if so please let me know). I made a new layer set called "Elev C-shakes" just for clarity even though a new layer is not needed because it is a totally new file. I turned off corbels and shutters and changed the gable siding to shakes.

I saved a new plan for the stone option similar to what I did for the shakes option.

The layout views don't seem to be keeping there association. For example, when I work on the original file on the "Elev B-corbels" layer, it changes the layout view for the "section view set" layer. And when I work on the separate files for the stone, it updates all the layout views as if they were all linked to that file.

Another problem is even if the layout looks good on Chief, when I print to pdf, it has different layout views. 

Is this a problem with having multiple files sent to the same layout? They are all saved in the same folder. Or is it a problem with making new layer sets for elevation views or using live views instead of plot line views?

Thanks for your help.

layout.zip

original plan, 2 elevation layer sets.zip

shakes plan.zip

stone plan.zip

the goal.PNG

what prints.pdf

• Upvote 1

By the way, I don't why my reputation rating is so low. I have always been polite and pleasant on this forum. I do try to research questions before posting a new topic as to not waste anybody's time. I also try to help with other user questions, but usually there other, more-experienced people answering questions. Anyway, I hope my low rating doesn't discourage discussion about my posted questions. I really appreciate this forum. It is a very valuable tool. thanks

15 minutes ago, LeeDrafter said:

By the way, I don't why my reputation rating is so low. I have always been polite and pleasant on this forum. I do try to research questions before posting a new topic as to not waste anybody's time. I also try to help with other user questions, but usually there other, more-experienced people answering questions. Anyway, I hope my low rating doesn't discourage discussion about my posted questions. I really appreciate this forum. It is a very valuable tool. thanks

I feel ya! I gave you a point olso!

• Like 1

Thanks Eric, I actually read that article earlier this afternoon. I don't think it addressed my specific problem, but it was helpful in learning about copies of layer sets for layout and why that is an option. I don't think it would help on this issue unless I am still not understanding something.

Thanks for the up-vote, much appreciated. I didn't realize you can see where votes have been given. Where can I see that? If I get negative feedback, I can try to make it right.

1 minute ago, LeeDrafter said:

thanks!! I don't know if points matter that much, but I want to be able to keep asking questions and getting replies :) 

I don't think it matters much as far as points but these guys are pretty generous to help. I know the program pretty well but most of them know much more than me and make me feel really dumb sometimes.

I hope solver helped with your answer!

• Like 1

Lee,  It appears you are doing everything correctly.  The only way I can see that getting fouled is if you are sending to layout with "Make Copy of Active Layer Set" selected in the Send to Layout DBX.

Have you tried relinking 625844619_RelinkFileTool.jpg.bd0e7ea72e9b4e7512724e5ee640b9f9.jpg the layout views ?  You can also change the referenced layer set 1929181313_LayerDisplayOptionstool.JPG.d00c2e0974eb6b9db32b1c9bc9cc1b8a.JPG if you need to.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LeeDrafter said:

When you Print Chief automatically updates all views right before it Prints , so I suspect Chopsaw is correct about what/how you are Sending to Layout , this Thread from yesterday had a similar issue , though the thread has now grown into a discussion on PlanSets , which are (*** typo) NOT available in X9.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Maybe "PlanSets , which were not available in X9". ?

"I was referring to Videos On Plan Views though which were new in X10"

Ooops yes ... looks like Spell check got me again.....

PlanSets are not available in X9

10 hours ago, solver said:

….I also checked to see what the down vote was for and it certainly was not warranted, so a gave you a point to get you back to 0.

Hey Eric, is this a service you are offering because

if it is I have about a dozen down votes you might

look into. ;)

• Upvote 1

Section and elevations are 3D views, more like perspectives than like plan views.

When an elevation or section are sent to layout they are linked to a camera, a specific camera. They are not linked to a plan view even in X10 or separate layersets. 

Open the view in layout and look at the DBX- no options for layerset listed there as it would be in X9 plan view sent to layout.

If you change the layerset for that camera in plan it will always change when updated. Chief always updates cameras when sending to print.

There are two ways to accomplish what you want. Send to layout as image.

OR use multiple cameras.

Name first camera and place on layer visible in desired layerset (say corbels) Send view to layout.

Then- Copy and paste in place that camera, rename and place on another layer, switch layersets and check that the 2nd camera's layer is on but the first one is off. Send to layout.

Repeat.

Naming each camera just lets you keep track of what layerset it uses. Placing the cameras on separate layers is not essential but makes working much easier.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Hey Eric, is this a service you are offering because

if it is I have about a dozen down votes you might

look into. ;)

Don't mention someone should fill out their Signature for sure , that gets me a down Vote all the time , no sure why that particularly annoys someone ? not that Reputation points here mean anything like on some Forums.

M.

Thank you Mark, Very interesting. I did not realize that it doesn't work to create different layer sets for the same camera. So, I tried your method of creating a different camera on a different layer for a different layer set. I am still having the problem with the two different cameras wanting the reference the same layer set. I re-started chief architect, but that didn't help either. I thought we were on to something. I'll keep playing with it and see if I can figure something out.

I'd rather not send to layout as an image because I want to be able to adjust the drawing in the future without having to re-make the layout page. That is also why I don't check the box to make a copy of the active layer set. Although I did just try the method of making a copy of the active layer set when sending to layout, and it also did not fix the problem. 

I am not having as many problems with the "corbels" layer as I am with the "shutters" layer, so now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the shutters layer. The shutters are homemade polyline solids blocked together. The corbels are just the architectural blocks found in the CA library and slightly modified for size. Do you think that plays a part for some reason? 

14 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Lee,  It appears you are doing everything correctly.  The only way I can see that getting fouled is if you are sending to layout with "Make Copy of Active Layer Set" selected in the Send to Layout DBX.

Have you tried relinking 625844619_RelinkFileTool.jpg.bd0e7ea72e9b4e7512724e5ee640b9f9.jpg the layout views ?  You can also change the referenced layer set 1929181313_LayerDisplayOptionstool.JPG.d00c2e0974eb6b9db32b1c9bc9cc1b8a.JPG if you need to.

Thanks Chopsaw, that didn't fix the problem, but those a great tools to check that I am linked and referenced correctly. 

4 minutes ago, LeeDrafter said:

The 2nd option (layout box) is acting weird , you didn't have the roof displayed and the Foundation is not showing either but not time right now to look more...

I right clicked each layout box and set Plot lines instead of Live View ...since you have four different Live Views on that one sheet you would need 4 different Plans to do what you are trying I think , otherwise any change in the Plan will change the Live View when Printed too...., with 4 plans you should be able to Use Live View I think.

I have not tried Marks multiple Cameras method but I am not sure how that works cos the Model would change and hence the Elevation view would change as you add or delete options in each camera.

M.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The 2nd option (layout box) is acting weird , you didn't have the roof displayed and the Foundation is not showing either but not time right now to look more...

I right clicked each layout box and set Plot lines instead of Live View ...since you have four different Live Views on that one sheet you would need 4 different Plans to do what you are trying I think , otherwise any change in the Plan will change the Live View when Printed too...., with 4 plans you should be able to Use Live View I think.

I have not tried Marks multiple Cameras method but I am not sure how that works cos the Model would change and hence the Elevation view would change as you add or delete options in each camera.

M.

Thank you, I was wondering if 4 different plan files might be the solution. It seems like you should be able to send different layer sets from elevations just like you can with plan view layer sets, but I guess that doesn't work. I couldn't get it to work with plot lines either, so I'm not sure live view is the problem. Thanks so much for your help. 

Thank you, I was wondering if 4 different plan files might be the solution. It seems like you should be able to send different layer sets from elevations just like you can with plan view layer sets, but I guess that doesn't work. I couldn't get it to work with plot lines either, so I'm not sure live view is the problem. Thanks so much for your help. 

As you made changes for each set of Options , I guess you could do a CAD Detail from View for the Elevation and send to Layout from the CAD Detail instead...they won't change then as Cad Details are not Live. (basically a snapshot in time)

Ahhhh with different layersets, not cameras , yes you maybe be able to do it but you would need to use Plot lines I think and not allow any updates , not sure if Chief will force an update on Print with plot lines, I know it does with Live Views.

M.

SO I forgot that you can't copy elevation cameras, principle remains that you need multiple cameras. So I made new cameras each using a different layer set.

One issue I ran into was that your shutters are not just located on the shutter layer but also on Cad default (since they are blocked) and you need to turn that layer off to turn off the shutters. I fiddeld with it in X10 then realized you are on 9 so only posting image from layout-3 cameras each using a different layer set Changed material on front is a material region set to NOT cut layer-only turned on in one view. Just proof of concept.

So no you only need mulitple files IF you are changing something structural or integral to a symbol -like if your shutters were part of the window instead of how you have them.

RIDGELINE.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

SO I forgot that you can't copy elevation cameras, principle remains that you need multiple cameras. So I made new cameras each using a different layer set.

One issue I ran into was that your shutters are not just located on the shutter layer but also on Cad default (since they are blocked) and you need to turn that layer off to turn off the shutters. I fiddeld with it in X10 then realized you are on 9 so only posting image from layout-3 cameras each using a different layer set Changed material on front is a material region set to NOT cut layer-only turned on in one view. Just proof of concept.

So no you only need mulitple files IF you are changing something structural or integral to a symbol -like if your shutters were part of the window instead of how you have them.

RIDGELINE.jpg

Thanks Mark! That definitely helped when I turn off CAD default. I thought since I changed the layer of the shutter blocks to "shutters" that it was now on the shutters layer. I didn't realize it was still secretly on the CAD default layer. I didn't know that any object could be on two layers at the same time for that matter. 

I haven't used material regions much, so I will learn more about that to possibly avoid the different files for shakes and stone. 

Thank you!!

CAD default layer.

from what Mark said that is cos you made a CAD Block out of them , if they were individual they would be on the Shutters Layer still.... you can use a bock to move them aroud and place them , just explode it again when they are in position.