Exposed Rafters

builtright3

Is there an easy way or a box I'm not checking to get rid of these rafter tails? I know I can shorten them by just dragging them back but I would think there is a better way. Would be nice if there was a box to check for "California Tie In Framing" or something. I have always been able to work around it but never found another solution.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Capture.thumb.PNG.947d9270b0383428afad6a098185e0e8.PNG

This is an old one but I don't believe there have been any other improvements in this aspect of the software since.

I can't really tell exactly what is going on from your  interior shot so if this does not work or does not apply let me know.

5 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

This is an old one but I don't believe there have been any other improvements in this aspect of the software since.

I can't really tell exactly what is going on from your  interior shot so if this does not work or does not apply let me know.

Nice Video!

Is there a setting that the rafters will cut at the roof sheeting like we do with a wall that cuts at the roof?

2 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Is there a setting that the rafters will cut at the roof sheeting like we do with a wall that cuts at the roof?

I am pretty sure there are a few feature requests for that but not really sure how high the stack needs to be before something gets implemented into the software.

Solid subtraction is the only way I know works for sure on a compound angle like that.

There may be one other theory that may be worth a try if you are able to share the plan file I could give it a try.

Have you done much work with custom trusses ?  You can get almost everything you need except for the compound angle cut with a custom truss basically only utilizing the top chord trimmed off with a truss base at the bottom.

California Truss Rafter Overframe.JPG

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Have you done much work with custom trusses ?  You can get almost everything you need except for the compound angle cut with a custom truss basically only utilizing the top chord trimmed off with a truss base at the bottom.

California Truss Rafter Overframe.JPG

I don't use trusses in any of my builds but if It makes more sense to use them in my designs to get the look I want then why not use them. I will study the videos and the manual.

8 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

IIRC Michael did a Video about a year ago on Overframed Roofs ..... perhaps he can point you too it as I couldn't find it again.....

I think he was using a Truss Base to control the Conventional Framing.....

@Alaskan_Son

I don’t think I ever made a video about that.  It was likely just some tips I typed up in a forum post, and more likely than not, I was suggesting a truss base and using trusses that basically resulted in nothing more than the top chords (rafters).  Just because Chief is calling it a truss doesn’t mean it can’t be a rafter.  Whatever gets it done right!?

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Whatever gets it done right!?

Yep ! :) .........the "Art of the Workaround" :)

Perhaps it wasn't specifically on overframing but on Valley boards?

I was just looking in my folder for "Examples from Forum Plans"  and found this one on Overframes , with a truss base, but I never noted whose's it was etc. Usually if I do this I put the Forum Post in a Text Box too and save it in Plan, to refer to later but must of been in a hurry when i saved this one....

Overframe example X10.plan

It doesn't seem like it would be that complicated for Chief to come up with something where that rafters will be able to over lay the roof sheeting some how but then again I know nothing about programming.

If you were able to put a wide wall on the roof and make it 1 1/2" high then you would have something for your roof base line to work off of. That may sound stupid but there is some truth to it.

4 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

make sure your valleys are correct and re-frame just those intruding roof planes.

Perry Thank You! You are one of my hero's on the forum!

I cant have a valley because it is an open beam ceiling so it has to be an overlay. Its not really a big deal right now because all I have to do is pull back the rafters above the sheeting after the auto frame. It wont be seen in 3D anyway. I was looking to see if someone might know something I don't about a roof over lay but nothing new has came up yet.

Hoping that a thread like this might motivate Chief or give them a starting point to come up with something simple. This is a basic everyday framing technique that in my opinion should be a priority to Chief to fix it they can.

Like the "Edit Wall Layer Intersection" tool. I love this tool when it came out. As a guy that does additions and interior remodels these types of tools work best for me. Now we just need the "Overlay" tool or "California Framing" tool on the bar.

53 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

Hoping that a thread like this might motivate Chief or give them a starting point to come up with something simple. This is a basic everyday framing technique that in my opinion should be a priority to Chief to fix it they can.

That would be nice but currently Chief don't always think or do as we do out there in the Real World , eg Headers , have you ever built one like Chief does? I haven't.... I pointed this out in X10 Beta , and nothing has changed since.... and I'd have thought that was and easy fix...

M.

Just a thought, but if you’re pulling back the rafters then they’re becoming pretty inaccurate in both plan and 3D anyway.  If you ask me, then I say you should consider just removing framing from the structure of those particular roof planes entirely so they don’t even frame to start with.  

27 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just a thought, but if you’re pulling back the rafters then they’re becoming pretty inaccurate in both plan and 3D anyway.  If you ask me, then I say you should consider just removing framing from the structure of those particular roof planes entirely so they don’t even frame to start with.  

Looking at the thread Title and the Pic in the OP , I had assumed he needed them for the exposed Rafter look.....