Posts To Roof Plane

samuel_marchant1

I am just trying to find a way to make my fencing posts to align with the top of my roof plane (image attached).

I haven't created them individually I have created them using a "straight railing" wall and then converting the "Rail Style" to "No Rail". I've also tried changing the "Newel/Posts" section to "Post to Ceiling" although I need it to the roof.

Sorry the software I am using is Chief Architect Premier X6 for Mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-2520-0-06419700-1410307576_thumb.png

Samuel,

As a new user of Chief you will find that many users here have discovered a lot of different ways to do a lot of different things. When I was first advised to use polyline solids I thought it was the slowest and most un-intuitive process (which I still believe it is) but after a few goes at it they become very very easy and fast to use in many different situations. They can 'band-aid' over a lot of Chief's foibles as well though not many will recommend doing so.

Scott's method above is the most sophisticated use of Chief IMO and uses Chief's tools in their intended manner but it can also seem complicated to the uninitiated. It's the method I would use depending on the reason and application. Quick p-line solids works too and even though they seem complex at first they will become a very fast and easy method for accomplishing many, many tasks in Chief. Learn them now - you'll no doubt learn to love their versatility.

I'm not a beginner but also not the sharpest tool in the shed so I thought I'd try Scott's method above as it seemed like the best and fastest solution but I ran into a problem right away. How does one "build a wall defined as 4x4 at 5' oc"? None of the wall structure dbx's give you options for framing a particular wall that I can find. I did find that you can define the fir framing material with a spacing of 60" but that didn't seem to translate to the framing seen on screen. (Not true see post below. I must have missed something)

(This is not the way to do this but I'll leave it anyway) I found one way to do it but you must first frame every wall with 4x4 at 5' O.C. from the build framing dbx. Select that wall, choose retain framing for that wall, then re-frame everything else at your normal framing spacing/size.

I'm going to mess around with this for a while and see what I can discover but so far I can't do what Scott is suggesting. Maybe a beginner will have better luck.

I'm not a beginner but also not the sharpest tool in the shed so I thought I'd try Scott's method above as it seemed like the best and fastest solution but I ran into a problem right away. How does one "build a wall defined as 4x4 at 5' oc"? None of the wall structure dbx's give you options for framing a particular wall that I can find. I did find that you can define the fir framing material with a spacing of 60" but that didn't seem to translate to the framing seen on screen.

I found one way to do it but you must first frame every wall with 4x4 at 5' O.C. from the build framing dbx. Select that wall, choose retain framing for that wall, then re-frame everything else at your normal framing spacing/size.

I'm going to mess around with this for a while and see what I can discover but so far I can't do what Scott is suggesting. Maybe a beginner will have better luck.

Ahhhhh,  but Grasshoppa,  you must change the studs MAATERIAL from 2x4 @ 16 to 6x6 @ 60" oc.  Took me about 45 seconds to do this.  However you will notice I do have an extra POST on each side of the corner post.  Can be quickly edited but I do not like to do much editing if avoidable.  My solution is not perfect.

The wall you see is auto built.

Excuse me while I get on my soap box.  One of the shortcomings of the CA videos and manual is they do not point out the many different methods of doing a task and the shortcomings of each.  Here I have done what the OP wants but with some shortcomings.  Tommy Blair's method of using psolids is good,  but it too has limitations.

Anyway,  I could do a vid on the different methods but......

post-50-0-16663200-1410365137_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input Scott, as always much appreciated.

For a beginner I think Chief leaves a lot to be desired as far as creating unique framing situations like the OP posted. There are ways to do everything but the 'shortcomings' can burn a lot of time and effort.

And no one mentioned the invisible walls needed in Tommy and Graeme's method. Another land mine for the beginner and so easy to forget when advising those new to the program.