Placing Mouldings shapes in 2D cad views

RobWhite

I am trying to place a gutter moulding in my section detail, however it's not allowing to do so.

I have located the moulding profile in the library and right click on the item and which displays a menu including the option to 'place moulding profile, which I understand allow me to place a 2D copy of the shape in the drawing detail. Its not working. Can anyone tell me what I am not doing. Hopefully its me and nor a system glinc

using Cheif X10

That should work but has some issues in that it does not necessarily place the profile where you cursor is.  Chief has been made aware of the issue but it is always helpful to add your voice to the list to get it fixed.  Fortunately a gutter is a relatively large profile but you will need to search for it.  This is not totally random but is dependent on the profile as to where it lands.  You could place several similar profiles and they might land in a group making them easier to find as there is a little bit of organization to it.

It is dependent on the point of origin when they are created so there are a few CA profiles that land near the cursor and some are way off.  Lesson learned when creating custom profiles of your own....  Keep the point of origin at 0,0 and there will be no problem with placement but every CA profile was laid out on a single sheet.  Easy fix but still waiting.....

As these placed profiles are polylines I would expect them to place the same as when one draws a regular polyline, which is what they appear to do. Where they initially are depends upon the view in which they are drawn in, plan versus elevation, and where there is a suitable surface for them to be located against. In plan view it's fairly straight forward as it will be drawn at the floor level. In an elevation it's a bit trickier, if there is nothing suitable in between the camera and say the exterior wall they will be located on the background wall, if your elevation camera is back clipped then you will most likely not see it. You then need to go into plan view and start clicking around the wall surface to find it and then move it to it's proper location. It sort of males sense as in elevation there is no depth, when you draw a polyline how can the software know depth wise where it is to go.

Graham,   These are 2D Molding Profiles.  I think you are referring to 3D molding Profiles.

Open an elevation view and mark your  0,0 point and place each and every CA molding profile at that point with your cursor and you will recreate the work sheet that CA used to build the library.  It is organized but not at the origin like it should have been.