Mysterious 'Surface' I Can't Seem To Delete...

HumbleChief

2 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can't do anything with that, what you have to do is place your own p-solid there, then you can have it thicker and any material you want

Thanks Perry, I think it will come in handy in some cases but I chased that thing around for far too long this morning. Wish it was on/off by choice.

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Adding an additional layer to the floor structure on a Deck might work.

ct1.thumb.jpg.5d91140a068c4d726ea6e65f8c34dc91.jpg

Thanks Eric, Tried that and also tried thickening the T&G surface layer but the cantilever underside layer always finds its way z fighting with the lowest layer....with no way to turn that layer off.

Looks like it worked in your pic. Did you get it to work?

1 hour ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

I am assuming that this exterior room is specified as a balcony and not a deck?  If so, then I think you are stuck with that.  You could draw an invisible room on the floor below and specify ceiling layers, but that could be a pain.

Rod, Tried it a couple ways but don't like anything about decks. Sometimes Chief remembers that it was a deck when the room is re-named and I think the cantilever underside is a great idea but why isn't it on its own layer that you can turn off/on?

Oh yeah thought about the inv. walls and room below too but like you say a bit of a PIA.

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Rod, Tried it a couple ways but don't like anything about decks. Sometimes Chief remembers that it was a deck when the room is re-named and I think the cantilever underside is a great idea but why isn't it on its own layer that you can turn off/on?

Oh yeah though about the inv. walls and room below too but like you say a bit of a PIA.

Out of curiousity I used the layer eyedropper on that surface and painted another object, and it was placed on the floor surfaces layer.  I remember when this was added, back in the X3-X4 days.  To me it seemed like a poorly implemented band-aid solution to a problem.  It should really be a controllable assembly like floor and ceiling finish layers for a room, that is only available if part of the room has no room below.

I rarely use balconies, but when I do I don't bother with it.  I don't do a lot of renderings where showing texture there might be important, so I don't recall ever having to deal with materials and thicknesses and z fighting problems.  I don't recall them much in cross sections either, and if needed I would just cad patch over it, and call out a detail to at 1 1/2" scale to get into the specifics.

Still annoying that this area has been overlooked for so long.

Open the room specification dbx for the upper floor that is cantilevering.

Go to the Materials panel and select Cantilever underside.

Select Material.

Plan Materials.

Scroll up to the top of the materials list.

There is an option called "No Material".

Note that you have to double click "No Material" to get it to stick, you can't use OK (at least this applies to my mac).

Also note that this is not a material like "Opening (no material)" - it literally means "no material". 

New Image_124.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Chopsaw,

It is not in the library because it is not a material.

As I said, it literally means "no material" - nothing to place in the library - it is not a material and it only applies to a cantilever underside.

It is not available in any other situations.

Well I begged Chief for that option for Landings and sure enough they put it just out of reach as a tease. :wacko:

All the other places that could be used to make up for programming deficiencies and no it just can't be done.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

.... and it only applies to a cantilever underside.

It is not available in any other situations.

...so by all means, instead of assigning a layer that you can turn on/off like every other material/item in Chief there's a special material selector for cantilevered undersides that's only available for cantilevered undersides? Really?

Nice catch as always Glenn but why would Chief decide to throw this entirely new way to deal with surfaces/materials? I wasted a lot of time this morning learning about another secret handshake that's hidden within an incredibly inconsistent GUI.

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

why would Chief decide to throw this entirely new way to deal with surfaces/materials?

This may have been my fault in suggesting this as a solution but as with other suggestions I have made the implementation just leaves me shaking my head.  But then again I did not even know that this was there and of course without Glenn how would we even know how to use it if we did happen to find it.

On further examination this is actually not a new feature.