Drop Box Doesn't Always Update/Synch Files Unless Chief is Closed

HumbleChief

This has happened a couple of confusing times. We have 2 licenses for Chief and if work is completed on one computer, that plan or layout file is closed, drop box will not always update or synch the file until Chief is closed. Seems like odd behavior and am not blaming Chief nor am sure it is a problem with the way Chief handles files when using DropBox and maybe it's even expected behavior? Just sayin' it's happened a few times and today we were able to directly trace the DropBox file non-synch to Chief still being opened, even though the file was closed. 

Have used DB for a very long time and it seems intermittent but traceable. Anyone else notice this? Is it expected? Do I have something set up wrong?

It might be the file your working on has to be closed not the actual program.  I am going to test this.

When I save a file for the very first time I get the message below, even when I close the file but leave the CA program open.

image.thumb.png.e9826052a07441ea1b25e6d37c15ac61.png

When I close the CA program open it back up, reopen my file, make changes, save changes to the file, I get this message below...

image.thumb.png.895282841f9223e91dcfce510ec2c3a6.png

At this point closing the file but, leaving the CA program open allows changes to the file to be synched.

image.thumb.png.3a6ae321ab578ac86dd1ca93c98c6e0a.png

1 hour ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

It might be the file your working on has to be closed not the actual program.  I am going to test this.

When I save a file for the very first time I get the message below, even when I close the file but leave the CA program open.

image.thumb.png.e9826052a07441ea1b25e6d37c15ac61.png

When I close the CA program open it back up, reopen my file, make changes, save changes to the file, I get this message below...

image.thumb.png.895282841f9223e91dcfce510ec2c3a6.png

At this point closing the file but, leaving the CA program open allows changes to the file to be synched.

image.thumb.png.3a6ae321ab578ac86dd1ca93c98c6e0a.png

Thank you for the input but my original post might not have been clear enough. Have used Chief and DropBox for many years. Sometimes, after closing the file, DropBox will not synch until Chief is closed. Not any real question about the problem, and it doesn't happen every time, but really, closing the file will sometimes not allow DB to update until Chief is closed. Can't imagine there's a real test for this as it can be intermittent but the event is real. Perhaps a setting I have? Dunno...

What I was trying to point out is when you start a new file and save it for the very first time, you have to both close the file and close out of the program for the file to be synced with Dropbox.   If you are merely saving changes to an existing file that is already created and stored on Dropbox, changes to file will sync if you only close the open file.  In this second case, you don't have to close the program for changes to sync but, you do have to close the file.  This what I am noticing.  Maybe you guys are noticing something different.  I can definitely see where I could run into trouble with this issue.  I have my current working project files stored on Dropbox.  Especially, when I haven't had my morning coffee and I don't understand why changes to a file didn't sync, while I was at home. LOL

Yes, this has been like this for years. When I was working with Katy, I would always move the plan out of the drop box folder that I was linked to me and do my phase of the plan outside the drop box. When I was finished, I would put the plan file back in the folder. We had many problems over the years with drop box that I could talk about but I hate working on plans while in drop box. I know many people disagree.

8 hours ago, ComputerMaster86 said:

What I was trying to point out is when you start a new file and save it for the very first time, you have to both close the file and close out of the program for the file to be synced with Dropbox.   If you are merely saving changes to an existing file that is already created and stored on Dropbox, changes to file will sync if you only close the open file.  In this second case, you don't have to close the program for changes to sync but, you do have to close the file.  This what I am noticing.  Maybe you guys are noticing something different.  I can definitely see where I could run into trouble with this issue.  I have my current working project files stored on Dropbox.  Especially, when I haven't had my morning coffee and I don't understand why changes to a file didn't sync, while I was at home. LOL

Thanks again for the input Lance and I think your first point is the part I am sometimes confused and surprised about. I haven't traced it to saving a file for the first time but perhaps that's the method that should be followed? We have consistently had great luck with DropBox and the synching usually takes place in a couple minutes after the file is closed. Yesterday we opened the file after a decent amount of time expecting the synching to have taken place (and not checking because it's usually so automatic) and we noticed changes that were missing. Shut down Chief on the other computer that the work was done on and the Synching began and completed.

Not that big of a deal because DB is very good at saving everything but need to pay a little more attention.

49 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I'm not aware of any standard cloud syncing program that syncs a file will it is open. The syncing would be crazy if every change you made forced a sync. They work on the principle that when you close the file then that's the new version you wish to keep and therefore sync.

Not sure where you read that DB is expected to synch while a file is open but I agree that would be crazy indeed. The point is that sometimes it requires that Chief be closed as well as the file in order for the synch to complete.

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Not sure where you read that DB is expected to synch while a file is open but I agree that would be crazy indeed. The point is that sometimes it requires that Chief be closed as well as the file in order for the synch to complete.

Might have misunderstood the issue. The only other thing I can think of would be a situation where you are also syncing your user library. This is attached to CA and as such any changes in it would not be synced until CA is closed. Not sure but when a layout file is open it is linked to the plan file, maybe CA has the plan file in an open state for refreshing purposes. Some syncing programs take a while to determine if a file has changed, may only scan for changes once every few minutes. I know with OneDrive this has been worked on over the last few updates and now syncing is almost instantaneous once a file is closed.

28 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Might have misunderstood the issue. The only other thing I can think of would be a situation where you are also syncing your user library. This is attached to CA and as such any changes in it would not be synced until CA is closed. Not sure but when a layout file is open it is linked to the plan file, maybe CA has the plan file in an open state for refreshing purposes. Some syncing programs take a while to determine if a file has changed, may only scan for changes once every few minutes. I know with OneDrive this has been worked on over the last few updates and now syncing is almost instantaneous once a file is closed.

Interesting points Graham, thanks for the input.

As an aside, AutoCad, even when a file is closed, retains some manner of access to the file causing a similar issue (such as trying to move file location or rename even though not currently "open").

One thing you might look into is mapping a network drive to a "cloud" account.  The only way I was able to do this with is a Microsoft Live (OneDrive) account though it seems it can also be done with google's equivalent drive.  It is pretty trick and simply functions as another file/drive on your computer (may be what TKA is referring to) without going through a VPN process on remote computers.  However, we also have some fairly high-speed internet so I don't notice many delays (from autosave etc) during use.

EDIT: You can also use Windows built-in SyncToy to backup the mapped OneDrive location for additional redundancy.

(scheduled for after-hours) and you can never have enough redundant redundancy.