Can Anyone Compare Chief To Turbocad Pro Or Softplan ?

Fun2Learn

Hello. I have been playing around with the Chief Architect trial version off and on for several years, and am seriously considering purchasing it, but, not really working in the architecture field right now, I am having a hard time justifying the cost of Chief Architect.  Turbocad Platinum Pro is about $1000 cheaper than Chief. Can anyone compare the two? What about SoftPlan? (I already tried the free trial of the less expensive Revit Lt and tossed that option out of the mix due to the lack of manufacturers catalogs for cabinets and fixtures. Someone correct me if that has changed.)

My background: I worked in architecture for 13 years--but years ago (I am a dinosaur that knows how to hand-draft!) I even got my license in CA but then moved to Maryland, had kids and then became at stay at home, homeschooling mom. Now I am ready to really learn CAD and get back into the field. I would like to work part-time for myself doing residential work, probably mainly remodeling,including kitchen design. My husband and I will probably start investing in real estate, and I may primarily end up just using a CAD program for our own rehab projects, and maybe also doing permit sets for contractors as well.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I've had both of them and decided to go with Chief( easier learning curve). Every program has its dragon's, so none are perfect, it just seems Chief has less of them. It's been many years since I really used those other programs, but I'm happy with what Chief gives me, at this point in time.

The big advantage to using Chief Premier is the ability to do layouts. Sending elevations and screen shots to a layout sheet. Good for general construction as well as kitchens etc.  I don't think layouts are available in the other versions but please verify as I have not checked in a long time.

I do all remodeling work and I think Chief is an excellent product for that application.

I have been using CA since V2 and TC Pro Platinum since V8 and each has it's strong and weaker points. For my work it is not really one or the other, but rather how to use both to advantage.

The more you use both programs you will start to see what I mean. TC can do some amazing things once you get the hang of it. An example being the creation of solid models that can be used in CA as symbols. CA has some solid modeling features, but in comparison to the ACIS modeling engine TC is far more capable.

To be fair, the same can be said for CA regarding model creation, presentations, and construction documents using X6's Layout features. TC is ok, but CA is far superior IMO.

The short answer is TC for traditional CAD and Solid modeling, and CA for most of the rest. Both are very powerful programs. To really be able to take advantage of the most powerful features of both programs takes quite a bit of effort. Not for everyone.

I have current versions of each.

If you tossed Revit LT you don't even want to look at TurboCad. TurboCad's layouts are limited but adequate. SoftPlan has excellent layout capabilities - comparable to Chief.

In other areas, except material control in SoftPlan, Chief is more intuitive and productive. It has all the necessary CAD capabilities to produce efficient construction documents without requiring another CAD program -- so you can save some money there.

Thanks, everyone for the helpful feedback! It is confirming my initial gut feeling that Chief is the best for what I need--but I just wanted to make sure before I layout all that cash.

RodCole, I am not sure what you mean by using Turbo Cad for  "the creation of solid models that can be used in CA as symbols. Do you mean for creation of objects that aren't in the CA library or catalogs (like a specific type of furniture, fancy fireplace mantel or range hood, for example) and then importing that into the Chief Architect drawing? Does it only then show up as a 2-D object? Is that why you call it a "symbol"? Please pardon my ignorance!

Gerry-- (off topic) I love your dog in your photo--I assume he is yours. He is adorable! What kind is he? He reminds me of mine (mine is a "cavachon"--a mix of a bichon and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel).

Thanks again. Any other feedback is appreciated!

RodCole, I am not sure what you mean by using Turbo Cad for  "the creation of solid models that can be used in CA as symbols. Do you mean for creation of objects that aren't in the CA library or catalogs (like a specific type of furniture, fancy fireplace mantel or range hood, for example) and then importing that into the Chief Architect drawing? Does it only then show up as a 2-D object? Is that why you call it a "symbol"? Please pardon my ignorance!

You are correct about the use of TC models for use in CA as symbols. However, once imported into CA they are full 3D objects, so this is a way to increase your library of unique symbols. SketchUp is another application that allows for easy creation of symbols that can be imported into CA.

Barton is correct that the free version of SketchUP can probably meet all of your modeling needs.

You asked about TC, and there really are some features related to the ACIS solid modeling engine that are very powerful, once you know how to use them.

I would not think that this would be that important to someone just starting out though. BTW many excellent modelers use SketchUp exclusively. Just depends on the type of things you intend on doing whether TC would be important or not.

It really comes down to the tools a particular application has, and whether you need them or not

I use Chief mostly and TC as needed. I stopped upgrading my TC Pro license back around 14 and switched to Deluxe 2d-3d. For my needs I don't see much of a difference (it is missing ACIS) but still fills a few gaps and it's far less expensive.

Hi everyone. I just got back from a short trip and checked in here and found a few more responses to my post--so thank you all who responded. I also read through the responses to another post (about someone possibly switching to Softplan), and read there that  CA has a rental program! This was news to me, as I did not see that option when browsing the website. Do they try to "hide" that option unless asked? I would think if they clearly advertised that option they would get a lot more "takers". That definitely solves my financial dilemma. I will probably be calling chief in a few days to order the rental! YEAH!

I just got my Softplan demo disk in the mail yesterday--haven't tried it yet. It is almost as expensive as Chief. There is something quite different in the look of Softplan's 3-D renderings, though, that don't seem quite as nice, or as "pretty" or "enticing" (not sure how to explain it in words) as Chief's,  but I can't quite put my finger on what the difference is. Anyone know what I am talking about? Of course, I am just going by the drawings on the two companies' websites--and of course I assume that  they are both putting the "best of the best" up there. What is it that make Chief's look so much better?

Fun2Learn, For the same features, Softplan is more money if you add in SoftList and Softplan+, which is already in Chief Architect Premier.

I have also been researching for a CAD program in residential. I have used Autocad and Archicad for many many years and know them both well.

Autocad LT 2015 ($1200) is old style 2D drafting and expensive for what it can't do and a waist of time.

Archicad 18 ($4,995) is expensive, easy to learn and works in 3D to create 2D layouts. It is a very nice program for both design and documentation, but way over qualified for kitchen design.

Sketchup Pro 2014 ($590) is great for design, very easy to use and learn, has a vast 3D library of anything in the world. There are excellent FREE training material available across the web, but it lacks the short cuts that aid (wall tool, cabinet tool, roof tool, etc) in building a home model as quick as Chief (you can load free & not free plug-ins to do these things). Sketchup's 2D documentation creation is improving and nearly ready for prime-time, but not yet.

Chief Architect X6 has the tools, this great forum, excellent training material, and a fairly intuitive command structure (not as clean as Sketchup). Chief will also do ray-trace (realistic lighting) renderings for presentations.

Softplan 2014 has the tools, but it has an old data structure and not so intuitive command structure (methods for building and editing a design) and their training material will put you to sleep.

I have both premier and interiors and lived with only interiors for a while.

What you give up in interiors that matters IMO:

Annosets-, cad from view (make up for it with Turbo cad deluxe or even double cad which is free), they have removed the ability to specify extra clearance for rough openings (a big problem of doing new construction, and the project browser.

How much any that matters depends on workload and type of kitchen.

If the kitchens are simple look at Pro Kitchen (and talk with them to nefotiate). If chief is warranted and you do a few jobs a year Annosets matter.

If doing any new construction, additions or working from architects drawing lack of control over RO allowance is a royal headache and likely to cause order mistakes (stupid move)

Project browser is "nice" to have as is detail from view.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and help. 4hotshoez--thanks for the helpful comparison chart! I want to do be able to do more than kitchens--also remodeling and additions, etc. so I don't think CA interiors would work. I did download the free sketch up and played with it a bit, but never got too far! It is amazing to me that so many of you are familiar with so many programs! I think it must be hard enough just to learn one!