Sill Plate Sorrows

EconBlueprints

Why does Chief consider a sill plate to be part of a foundation?  In real world construction, the sill plate is part of the framing.
When I do an elevation, the sill plate is missing in the garage area, although it is present in all other areas.  Even thought the top of the foundation walls and garage walls are at the same level below the first floor sub floor, they show up differently in elevation views.
So, is there any way to reassign the sill plate to the framing where it rightfully belongs?

Thanks,

Lane

This has been a point of consternation for many people. I suspect Chief treats the sill plate as the foundation for programmatic reasons, but conceptually is isn't far off base. What do you set the second floor framing upon? The first floor wall top plates, correct? The first floor wall top plates aren't part of the second floor - they are the "foundation" for the second floor. The same is true for the foundation sill plate, which is the point of bearing, or "foundation", for the first floor. Changing the current paradigm may be equally confusing, as we would have to account for the sill plate within the first floor framing structure (think of how to incorporate that into the Structure dbx).

To answer your question, AFAIK, there is no way to reassign the sill plate to the framing. In the garage, the wall sole plate will show up if you build the wall framing.

I haven't done 50 years of framing, but of the framing I have done, we bolted the sill plates to the foundation so that we can frame the floor on top of them.  OK, so the sill plate is wood, which makes it framing.  But we also infill frame between step down foundation walls and the floor.  Is that framing part of the floor?  I think chief handles the sill plate better when it is an attribute of the foundation wall.  When you consider that the finish ceiling is usually above the sill plate, attached to the underside of the joists, it makes sense to me that chief handles it as part of the wall.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, bmatth1 said:

Is there a way to add  FOAM SILL SEALER under the foundation sill plate? And have this part of the material list?

You can add anything you want to your foundation walls (or almost any other object) using the Components tab. They won't be 3d objects but they will be included in a materials list.