rispgiu

see this suggestion for methods of having fractions display or not

I prefer to have them not display most of the time

I try to model to 1/16 for as-builts - for new construction aim for 1"

when printing the final layout I display only to the nearest 1"

unless it is a "critical" area like cabinets or some other tight requirement

Lew

• Upvote 1

My guess would be your Dims. are not set to Use 1/16th currently OR your Snap Grid is not set to 1/16th too , thus allowing you to Draw to that same Accuracy in the 1st Place.

For the Existing Drawing you could try Rounding the Dims differently eg to 1/4" to see if the 1/16th Fractions disappear.

Lew's Suggestion Post covers most of it from another thread Last month.

M.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, lbuttery said:

see this suggestion for methods of having fractions display or not

I prefer to have them not display most of the time

I try to model to 1/16 for as-builts - for new construction aim for 1"

when printing the final layout I display only to the nearest 1"

unless it is a "critical" area like cabinets or some other tight requirement

Lew

Thank you Lew, I appreciate it. 

21 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

My guess would be your Dims. are not set to Use 1/16th currently OR your Snap Grid is not set to 1/16th too , thus allowing you to Draw to that same Accuracy in the 1st Place.

For the Existing Drawing you could try Rounding the Dims differently eg to 1/4" to see if the 1/16th Fractions disappear.

Lew's Suggestion Post covers most of it from another thread Last month.

M.

Thank you Mick, I'll give it a try. 

9 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Personally, I use 1/2" as the smallest fraction on plans.

Thank you Chris, I had actually tried what you have suggested and it worked. I then wondered if at the end of the build I would find any surprises :)

I typically try to work at 1/2" increments but dimension to the nearest 1/8".

Sometimes you just have to make adjustments for framing and wall layer thicknesses.  Studs are 3-1/2" and 5-1/2" so depending on which side of a wall you are dimensioning to there will be a 1/2" variation and if you are dimensioning to the center line of a wall that gets down to 1/4".  Assuming you want that wall to be continuous across the building you just have to make some adjustments.  Then if there's a difference in finish materials (1/2" drywall vs 5/8" drywall) the dimensions can be 1/8" variance to get the alignment desired.

I don't think there's an easy answer to the question.  It just depends on the job conditions.  Carpenters are quite capable of layout to 1/8" increments.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I typically try to work at 1/2" increments but dimension to the nearest 1/8".

Sometimes you just have to make adjustments for framing and wall layer thicknesses.  Studs are 3-1/2" and 5-1/2" so depending on which side of a wall you are dimensioning to there will be a 1/2" variation and if you are dimensioning to the center line of a wall that gets down to 1/4".  Assuming you want that wall to be continuous across the building you just have to make some adjustments.  Then if there's a difference in finish materials (1/2" drywall vs 5/8" drywall) the dimensions can be 1/8" variance to get the alignment desired.

I don't think there's an easy answer to the question.  It just depends on the job conditions.  Carpenters are quite capable of layout to 1/8" increments.

Thank you Joe for your answer. 

12 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

Thank you Chris, I had actually tried what you have suggested and it worked. I then wondered if at the end of the build I would find any surprises :)

You're welcome!

Before Chief, when I drew plans on paper, or later, a 2D CAD program, I always worked in 1/2" increments for framing, and 1" increments for foundations.

As Joe indicated, with studs at 3-1/2" and 5-1/2", minimum of half-inch is necessary for framing.

My plans don't get into dimensioning things like drywall, but on rare occasions there will be something that does have to dimension to a smaller than 1/2" fraction, but it's the rare exception. Post spacing for 5-1/2" posts is the most common place I encounter this, since they're 2-3/4" to center.

If designing a block foundation (don't often encounter those now), I tried to work in 8" increments when possible, for efficiency of block-laying.

But I'm not an architect, I'm a builder who also designs, so I'm thinking of keeping things simple on the jobsite. Plus I just think a plan looks cleaner with only whole or half-inch measurements.

When I work in Chief, my dimension defaults are always set to "Grid Rounding". That way if all my dimensions read how I want them to (whole or half-inch), I know the sum of all dimensions in a string will match an overall dimension even if some dimensions are not really in 1/2" increments (see example).

I've never had any "surprises" due to this approach.

dims.thumb.png.7eac3cfd8279fd06ab383aaa08ddcfda.png

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2018 at 5:31 PM, Chrisb222 said:

You're welcome!

Before Chief, when I drew plans on paper, or later, a 2D CAD program, I always worked in 1/2" increments for framing, and 1" increments for foundations.

As Joe indicated, with studs at 3-1/2" and 5-1/2", minimum of half-inch is necessary for framing.

My plans don't get into dimensioning things like drywall, but on rare occasions there will be something that does have to dimension to a smaller than 1/2" fraction, but it's the rare exception. Post spacing for 5-1/2" posts is the most common place I encounter this, since they're 2-3/4" to center.

If designing a block foundation (don't often encounter those now), I tried to work in 8" increments when possible, for efficiency of block-laying.

But I'm not an architect, I'm a builder who also designs, so I'm thinking of keeping things simple on the jobsite. Plus I just think a plan looks cleaner with only whole or half-inch measurements.

When I work in Chief, my dimension defaults are always set to "Grid Rounding". That way if all my dimensions read how I want them to (whole or half-inch), I know the sum of all dimensions in a string will match an overall dimension even if some dimensions are not really in 1/2" increments (see example).

I've never had any "surprises" due to this approach.

dims.thumb.png.7eac3cfd8279fd06ab383aaa08ddcfda.png

Thank you Chris, I guess I've gone through my allowed votes for today but I'll make sure you get one tomorrow :)