Selkirk

Crown Moulding appears upside down

Recommended Posts

I am using Premier X9, and I have created a crown moulding and trying to place it on upper cabinets, however the moulding appears on the cabinets ‘upside down’. If I recreate the moulding upside down and place it on the cabinets it now appears right side up, however there is no detail to the moulding profile. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong, and how I can correct this? Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not so much about being "upside down" as much as being drawn the correct direction.  You need to draw your molding profile visual edge facing left.  If you do that it should show correctly each time.  If you draw it facing right then it will appear "upside down".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moldings, Rafter Tails etc are generally drawn with the profile facing right. But it depends on what you are using them for.

 

ct2.thumb.jpg.525f156fe33af4282b9fc19b56a88438.jpg

 

Here are some facing in different directions.

 

ct3.thumb.jpg.d996da1f3d7f686d8e8916f2a526114f.jpg

 

It's helpful to draw several orientations or the same profile and apply them to different things -- molding polylines, cabinets etc to learn how they work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, solver said:

Moldings, Rafter Tails etc are generally drawn with the profile facing right. But it depends on what you are using them for.

 

ct2.thumb.jpg.525f156fe33af4282b9fc19b56a88438.jpg

 

Here are some facing in different directions.

 

ct3.thumb.jpg.d996da1f3d7f686d8e8916f2a526114f.jpg

 

It's helpful to draw several orientations or the same profile and apply them to different things -- molding polylines, cabinets etc to learn how they work.

 

I dont fully follow - can you look at my video and explain what you're saying compared to the results i'm getting...?  It seems to be reverse of what you're saying....but i know you know what you are talking about so its confusing.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Johnny and Eric.

I initially drew the profile facing left (which produced an upside down image). I just redrew it facing right and it works just fine and looks good. I have been using Chief Arch. since 2007 and you would have thought I would have come across this by now.

The other frustration is, if you horizontally offset the crown so as it aligns with the face of the cabinet doors then it stands proud of the cabinet gables (they need a horizontal offset option for front and sides). Is there an obvious fix for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny -- Take a look at any of the chief supplied moldings and see how they face.

 

Take your left facing molding and use it in a room as crown, or on a cabinet. 

 

With a Molding Polyline, you can choose to Extrude inside or out.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.d4a2c08d84c92603dbe5c89d72e2ce72.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Selkirk said:

(they need a horizontal offset option for front and sides). Is there an obvious fix for this?

 

A made a suggestion a week or two to give us the ability to offset on different sides like a countertop.

 

The fix is to use a Molding Polyline instead of applying moldings via the cabinet dialog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, solver said:

Johnny -- Take a look at any of the chief supplied moldings and see how they face.

 

Take your left facing molding and use it in a room as crown, or on a cabinet. 

 

With a Molding Polyline, you can choose to Extrude inside or out.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.d4a2c08d84c92603dbe5c89d72e2ce72.jpg

 

Yeah I am following now.  However, don't you feel this is reverse of how it should be?...i actually think this is a mistake by Chief, and that is why its confusing if you have a closed molding poly.  Here is a video to explain.  (or maybe i am wrong)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Eric. I typically use moulding polylines for most of these applications (hence my not running across this issues before), and I will use them again in this situation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny -- I never suggested it was logical ;)

 

Here is what Help has to say. Not sure I fully understand, which is why I made all those triangle shaped moldings.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.89b69acefe1ec2df98bf490c3e390a59.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny,

Try drawing your molding polyline in an anticlockwise direction - this is the standard convention.

Or, you can also Reverse the molding polyline to get the same result.

If you draw your polyline anticlockwise, the molding will be on the right hand side (with Extrude Inside checked).

Maybe turn on your Start and End indicators to see which way the polyline is drawn.

And be aware that the shape of the polyline has nothing to do with "inside" or "outside" - it's the direction in which line is drawn (start and end) that matters.

 

A bit the same as when we had to draw walls in an anticlockwise direction or they would be "inside out".

At some stage (several versions ago) Chief walls got smart and they now know from the wall definition what is the outside and inside of a wall, and if you have drawn the walls clockwise, Chief will automatically flip them so that they are the correct way around (once you enclose a room).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glennw said:

Johnny,

Try drawing your molding polyline in an anticlockwise direction - this is the standard convention.

Or, you can also Reverse the molding polyline to get the same result.

If you draw your polyline anticlockwise, the molding will be on the right hand side (with Extrude Inside checked).

Maybe turn on your Start and End indicators to see which way the polyline is drawn.

And be aware that the shape of the polyline has nothing to do with "inside" or "outside" - it's the direction in which you draw the line that matters.

 

Yep, counter-clockwise did reverse everything - but then you have to go into the molding and un-check "extrude inside".  That is interesting though - so both direction of drawing a molding line and creating a modeling profile impacts the sync between those two things.

 

Thanks for the info.  However, don't you think this is kinda odd?  Its almost like picking your poison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny,

 

Isn't that called flexibility?

What, you want less flexibility?  :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, glennw said:

Johnny,

 

Isn't that called flexibility?

What, you want less flexibility?  :wacko:

 

I wasn't thinking so much about less flexibility but the fact if you want to draw the molding line where 90% of the time you'd want it - that is technically wrong, on top of the fact the terminology for settings isn't correct either.  If you draw the molding poly counter-clockwise like you said (obviously the correct way), then it models the molding inside the line (which is rarely used like that i would imagine).

 

Just seems backwards in every way....though not a huge deal.  Just interesting is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dshall said:

Thanks for bringing this up.

 

See my conundrum below.

 

5a82f5dfeca06_ScreenShot2018-02-13at6_26_46AM.thumb.png.57658bc37674060c0abe7841a3d34c95.png

 

molding does not work 1.plan

 

 

 I had in the past played with custom drawn moldings and the issue you are encountering. I can't recall the specifics but it is related to how CA determines the connecting edge, this was not related to the drawing direction, it had something to do with the profiles shape. I believe for example if you were to shorten the longest leg to less than the other leg then the connection edge will change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

........  I believe for example if you were to shorten the longest leg to less than the other leg then the connection edge will change.

 

Pardon me,  isn't this plain flat out stupid......  so how  much time do I need to spend to get the answer......  just stupid,  thanks Graham.

 

I guess I will report this.  I can't believe this behavior has not been posted before and just not fixed.....  what a waste of time......

 

 

 

To make mine work,  I had to use this shape .......

 

5a82fb42d4860_ScreenShot2018-02-13at6_50_26AM.thumb.png.36550aab6d262551774ee02dc5b5da3a.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dshall said:

 

Pardon me,  isn't this plain flat out stupid......  so how  much time do I need to spend to get the answer......  just stupid,  thanks Graham.

 

I guess I will report this.  I can't believe this behavior has not been posted before and just not fixed.....  what a waste of time......

 

 

 

To make mine work,  I had to use this shape .......

 

5a82fb42d4860_ScreenShot2018-02-13at6_50_26AM.thumb.png.36550aab6d262551774ee02dc5b5da3a.png

 

 

 I know it's crazy. They should allow one to define(identify) the connecting edge of the molding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dshall said:

 

Pardon me,  isn't this plain flat out stupid......  so how  much time do I need to spend to get the answer......  just stupid,  thanks Graham.

 

I guess I will report this.  I can't believe this behavior has not been posted before and just not fixed.....  what a waste of time......

 

 

 

To make mine work,  I had to use this shape .......

 

5a82fb42d4860_ScreenShot2018-02-13at6_50_26AM.thumb.png.36550aab6d262551774ee02dc5b5da3a.png

 

 

 

I've run into this problem before and reported it to tech support a while back.  Here's a quick video I had made for them...

 

 

...and an excerpt from their response...

 

"...I think that the program "expects" Molding Polylines to follow a certain formula. The back is expected to be a vertical line located on the left side, of course. But it also seems to expect that the back edge be longer than any other edge. It seems to get confused when the longest vertical edge is not located at the far left, and all bets appear to be off when the left-most edge is a single point..."

 

Please make sure to send it in too.   It would be really nice to see this fixed.  Its really quite a problem if you get into using complex/creative molding profiles.
 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

.......Please make sure to send it in too.   It would be really nice to see this fixed.  Its really quite a problem if you get into using complex/creative molding profiles.

 

 

I sent it in.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28312
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    Nikol1
    Newest Member
    Nikol1
    Joined