All in one Computer?

Love2Design

I am in the market for a new computer and was wondering if the HP Pavillion 27" touchscreen all in one desktop would be a good choice? I am still a beginner with Chief Architect and use it  for more of a hobby right now but would like to design some new homes in the future.

thank you.

Shelli

Unless you are going to take great advantage of the portability features I would say not a great choice for Chief Architect.  It will work but a friend just junked his that was only a few years old when he got a windows 10 update and it said sorry your video card is no longer compatible with windows 10.

Super frustrating when clients touch the screen when you are giving them a presentation and screw up your drawing. I would want to make sure the touch screen could be deactivate for that reason alone.

31 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes then I would recommend that you find a desktop within your budget that can be upgraded as you grow with the software and has the ability to add an extra screen or two.

and better VideoCards , as some are learning with X10 ,an All in one is basically a Laptop on a Stand ( computer is in Monitor basically) and most are not Upgradable. I am not aware of any benefits of a Touchscreen related to Chief , so you could perhaps save money with a Non-touch version , unless you want that for everyday use?

you don't say what model HP 27", does it have a Nvidia graphics card? of just an Intel? ,(both?)  the Intel will work but Chief recommends Nvidia for better performance

M.

buy  laptop with at least a 17" screen so you can go to client's homes/sites

at home I use a 38" tv/monitor for my daily use

I have it set for 720P resolution for my "bad eyes"

1080P is way too small for me

it's great when clients come as they don't have to crowd shoulder to shoulder

trying to see a small laptop screen

Lew

I wouldn't suggest it, I had an HP all in one before I built my custom PC. It had intel integrated graphics and rendered images that my 2 year old cold draw better. I'm not talking a cheap computer either, around $1200. I had it less than a year before I went ahead and bit the bullet for a better build. The biggest con with the all in ones was not having the ability to upgrade anything (gpu, memory, cpu, etc.). Not to mention the touch screen seemed to distort the picture quality and on screen detail of my drawings. But other than that it would of been perfectly fine to run CA if I could just upgrade the gpu and maybe throw a little bit more ram in there. But nope... don't waste your money  bud, go with a desktop.