Sloped shower floor: use soffites

cv2702

I know many of you experts here often mention Polylines to solve those awkward situations.  I'm not yet at that level, so I offer a relatively simple solution for sloped shower floors: use soffites, as counterintuitive as it may seem!

I've searched videos, knowledge base and posts to find a simple solution for sloping shower floors.

Soffites can be sloped.  Be advised that soffites apparently cannot be set to any material; I had to paint from an adjoining wall to get both the pattern and the texture of the tiles I wanted.  Adjust the floor height of the 'shower' room to accommodate the slope.

5a4ed2c2a8b38_Slopedshowerfloor.thumb.jpg.24f9dccf615b79aebe52507bb016ed8e.jpg

I agree with Eric, soffits are harder to work with and edit than poly-line solids. They are too versatile to remain ignorant of them and their creation. They are not hard to create and have an infinity of uses. Look up Poly-Line Solids in your Reference Manual and then make some for yourself.

DJP 

-Soffits

-Polyline solids

-Roof planes

All valid options, but you can also use:

-Moldings

-Ramps

-Even a terrain converted to a symbol...pan.thumb.png.9d3bb3e6a741c4927ddc15f9895b4d60.png

If you really want flexibility and accuracy though, I would strongly recommend you get familiar with using SOLIDS and boolean operations (solid intersection, solid union, and solid subtraction).

40 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

-Soffits

-Polyline solids

-Roof planes

All valid options, but you can also use:

-Moldings

-Ramps

-Even a terrain converted to a symbol...pan.thumb.png.9d3bb3e6a741c4927ddc15f9895b4d60.png

If you really want flexibility and accuracy though, I would strongly recommend you get familiar with using SOLIDS and boolean operations (solid intersection, solid union, and solid subtraction).

I agree all these solutions work, except that using a roof plane is not very intuitive when the goal is a sloped floor, nor is a molding, and a terrain converted to a symbol?

I admire you warriors that get the job done, one way or another.  But why not simply have parameters in the room specification/structure that deal with slopes?  I guess the answer is that it would only be relevant for shower floors, but still wishing...

P.S. I know I have to dig into polylines

Here is Yusuf's video using 3D Molding Polylines and Faces for a Wireframe Modeling Technique.

This is essentially how everything in chief is built anyway so this is an absolute core function that has tremendous flexibility and potential.

This can be done accurately and quickly once you get the hang of it.

Many thanks to : @yusuf-333