What's The Advantage Of Storing Details And Notes In A Separate Plan?

zowie123

Hi,

I"m reorganizing my systems and have been reading many strategies of how people organize their details and notes.  

I like Scott Halls Save As Method (S.A.M) because all improvements to layer/anno and all else are there and in place for the next plan/ layout.  

Here's the question:

Some people suggest keeping a plan just to store cad details and notes. So at a minimum you'd have 3 files associated with any one job: a layout, working.plan and a detail.plan.

What is the advantage of keeping details and notes in a separate plan as opposed to the main plan particularly if you're using the save as method?

Thanks for your consideration,

Zowie

Zowie,

I personally prefer using Templates vs the SAM - but mainly because I do different styles of Architecture and Templates help me set up a project with all it's own defaults.

As far as the Details being in separate Plans, it just allows me to pick the Details I want for any given project - Send to Layout.  I actually have several Detail Plans dedicated to:

Foundation, Retaining Walls, Framing, Roof, Railings, etc.  It's like a Library but everything is better organized and I don't have to worry about scale.

Thanks for your input Joseph,

I guess the issue I've run into with templates is that I never go back and update my good productivity ideas to the template.  Sometimes they're slight tweaks that I do on the fly and forget about, but find myself redoing them again on the next plan/layout.  I'm feeling I could cut down on repetitive tasks if I build on each plan/layout, which the S.A.M allows.

That being said, some people want 18x24 and others want 24x36, so I already have two different animals to tend to even with the S.A.M. It would be great if layouts scaled more easily.  

Z. 

I guess the issue I've run into with templates is that I never go back and update my good productivity ideas to the template.  Sometimes they're slight tweaks that I do on the fly and forget about, but find myself redoing them again on the next plan/layout.  I'm feeling I could cut down on repetitive tasks if I build on each plan/layout, which the S.A.M allows.

Yes, I too wish I was more diligent about updating my templates.  I get caught in this same trap all the time too.  Just get so busy and trying to get to the next project all the time.

Yes, I too wish I was more diligent about updating my templates.  I get caught in this same trap all the time too.  Just get so busy and trying to get to the next project all the time.

I keep my template plans and layouts in my X6 folder so when I come across something not just right, I just open them and fix and re-save for any new jobs. It would be nice if Chief had a "Make default" for everything that would automatically go to your templates

The downside I've experienced when sending details to layouts directly from their own plan file is that if you try to export a dwg of your layout, everything in the referenced plan file exports into the dwg rather than just the one CAD detail you added to the layout. It was a mess. Not sure if this is still the case in X6 as I haven't tried it...

I still keep details in their own plan files so if I need to edit it's easy to find them, but I started blocking them, adding each detail block to my library, then adding the CAD detail blocks that are frequently used to my layout template. That way I don't have to add and resize them every time I start a new project. I've noticed my layout files load much faster doing it this way, too.

I too use the template method.  I have my "detail" plan set up so my title block is on the main plan window and all my details are "CAD Details" within the plan.  I have found doing it this way helps the program operate faster.  I have done it where I had all me details on the main plan window, but the program slowed down.  Once I moved each detail to its own "CAD detail" within the plan, overall performance improved and I haven't dealt with the program slowing down nearly as much.  This also may help to the "downside" of what mydog8it is talking about.  I don't add my details to my library.  With how I have my file organization setup I don't believe it would be feasible.