Ceiling Height Label?

ACADuser

9 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Yes, changing to Level 1 eliminated the error.

Is that a safe level to run all the time?

I've never had a problem with Ruby Safe Level 0 or 1.  Safe Level 2 blocks almost all file access which really cripples Ruby.  I suppose that a malicious Chief user could write a macro that could wreck havoc by deleting files or something - but as long as you trust the source there shouldn't be any problems.

It is shocking how weak Ruby is in its current state.

Just more evidence that the developers are more interested in casual users vs the professional users that could benefit from more versatile tools.

You should be able to build a macro that can detect which room it is in.

Thanks for all the help to figure this out!

3 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

You should be able to build a macro that can detect which room it is in.

Yes, and it has been requested.  Maybe it will be in X10 - maybe not.

I kind of understand CA's reluctance to allow Ruby to do certain things to a Chief Project.  OTOH, there are a lot of other facilities that a malicious programmer could use to mess things up - totally outside of Chief or Ruby.  For that reason I really hope they will ease up on some of the limits and provide much more flexibility.  There's so much more data available in the model that isn't exposed to Ruby.  If it was all available, I could create a set of "fully annotated" ConDocs in just a fraction of the time it takes currently.

I don't understand their reluctance.

AutoCAD has exposed almost everything.  That includes VBA, VB, C++, Java, Pearl, and a host of other languages professional programmers may prefer. That has existed for decades, yes decades.

I for one do not get their business model. They spend too much time on the occasional user

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Now that X10 is out, is it possible to get these macros to work in a RTB?  I have written a couple of simple macros that give me the answer in the macro editor, but can not get in the place I want it.  My Ruby knowledge is a 2 out of 10, but learning.

1 hour ago, wjmdes said:

Now that X10 is out, is it possible to get these macros to work in a RTB?  I have written a couple of simple macros that give me the answer in the macro editor, but can not get in the place I want it.  My Ruby knowledge is a 2 out of 10, but learning.

No, they will work in Room Labels but not ti RTB's. 

So here's how I handle it:

• Put the %room.name% in an RTB
  • Put all the custom macros in the Default Room Label.
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wjmdes said:

No, still no easy way to use this information directly in a text box.  I've used about a half dozen different methods to mimic the behaviour...all of which have their strengths and weaknesses, none of which are nearly as easy or as flexible as what we would like to see, and most of which are only manageable for intermediate to advanced users depending on which one we're talking about. 

There's the method I posted back in Post #19

There's the method I shared here

There's the method I shared here

Plus I have a few methods I haven't shared that involve using some special architectural blocks kinda like the block I shared here but with some additional parts and pieces

Every single one of the aforementioned methods is relatively convoluted.  You probably shouldn't even try them.  Please complain to Chief.  What we really need as Joe and myself have requested MANY MANY times is access to Chief's global macro values (at a bare minimum) or better yet, a "room context" for text macros. 

Chief keeps trying to handle room information in such a way that will basically only work for one person.  I have yet to see 2 users who want room  info. displayed the same way, I believe all the professionals I've dealt with are resorting to adding all the necessary room information manually to each and every room label or just settling for the standard text boxes and turning out plans that don't look as good or are much more difficult to read.  The vast majority are doing the first thing and just adding the information manually though.  This is just ridiculously time consuming and begging for errors.  I really wish Chief would put this higher on their priority list.  Of all the requests for help with custom macros I receive I would say the vast majority are relating to room labels.  Maybe if we could get a few more of you guys reporting it directly to Chief that would help.  You've all been contacting Joe, myself, and others to help you with this stuff but Chief only puts so much weight on what Joe and I have to say, I think maybe they need to hear directly from you guys. 

The simple fact is that we need access to all the room information values and we need to be able to utilize and modify these values for use in Rich Text boxes.  Maybe we should head to Coeur d'Alene and start tipping stuff over.

There's so much more data available in the model that isn't exposed to Ruby.  If it was all available, I could create a set of "fully annotated" ConDocs in just a fraction of the time it takes currently.

with this and the ability to record macros as you click away would indeed make Ruby very powerful

if only Chief's Ruby were like VBA for Excel, Word, etc :(

Lew

1 hour ago, lbuttery said:

There's so much more data available in the model that isn't exposed to Ruby.  If it was all available, I could create a set of "fully annotated" ConDocs in just a fraction of the time it takes currently.

with this and the ability to record macros as you click away would indeed make Ruby very powerful

if only Chief's Ruby were like VBA for Excel, Word, etc :(

Lew

Statement like this would be helpful...

...IF you would send them to Chief and and IF you would somehow qualify your statements.  What you said is basically the same thing as saying I wish My Ford worked like my Chevy...

What is anyone supposed to do with a statement like that?  It would really help if you were to at least specify exactly what you want to be able to do with Ruby that you can do with VBA.  The truth is that Ruby (in Chief) already CAN do a lot of what VBA does in Excel.  And BTW, don't forget we're talking about 2 entirely different programs and user interfaces though and so there are going to be inherent differences in what is possible.

Anyway, I agree that there is a lot that can be done to improve Ruby implementation within Chief but again, if we want to see any changes we have to supply Chief with at least some semblance of specificity or its just noise.

Michael:

I have been asking for a recordable macro language like VBA for over a decade

long before Chief introduced a lame version of Ruby in X4

I have had many discussions on this forum and with CA about VBA's capabilities vs Ruby

If you are interested do some searches on this forum and the old forum (if it still exists)

My post now is just a "tickler" reminder of what I would like to see

thus if CA should read this thread ???

Lew