I have Chief Premier X9 and would like to know if there is a way to create floating shelves in my drawings. Such as wood shelves with metal or wood brackets. Or are there pre-set ones already that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance.

James

17 minutes ago, JASInteriors said:

would like to know if there is a way to create floating shelves in my drawings

There are a bunch of ways. If you search HELP for shelf, you will find one.

You may draw whatever you want using Solids, Polyline Solids, Custom Countertops, Molding Polylines, Soffits, Slabs. Some of these will accept Molding Profiles to show an edge treatment.

Check the Bonus Catalogs too for brackets and other things.

https://3dlibrary.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?r=site/library&reset=true

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Why not just use the Shelf Tool (one of the Cabinet Tools) ;)

I was wondering who would say this.  The shelf tool is pretty cool.

• Downvote 1

I use wall cabinets, face set to "blank", keep in user library. 

That way they get included in the cabinet schedule. 

As long as your shelves only need to be rectangular in shape, I would use the cabinet shelf tool.  Cabinet shelves can have molding added to them which gives you ability to add various edge profiles to them.

If you need a more free form shape, I would probably use a custom counter top instead.

If you need to show some kind of support, you can always place brackets under them.  You can also block the shelf and brackets together if you want to treat them like a single object.

shelves.png

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dermot said:

Cabinet shelves can have molding added to them which gives you ability to add various edge profiles to them.

Can do that with cabinets too, with some hacking (make brackets cabinet doors) you can have them as part of the cabinet. The advantage is they get into the schedule so you can order them. Maybe X10 will place shelves and partitions into the schedule without the work arounds?

screen 008.png

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Can do that with cabinets too, with some hacking (make brackets cabinet doors) you can have them as part of the cabinet. The advantage is they get into the schedule so you can order them. Maybe X10 will place shelves and partitions into the schedule without the work arounds?

screen 008.png

Can i ask what happens when you resize the shelf?  Do the brackets stay in location or are they relative to the edge?

6 hours ago, johnny said:

Can i ask what happens when you resize the shelf?  Do the brackets stay in location or are they relative to the edge?

Yes, they are inserted into the back. At some point it is wise to add another. If they were not "by others" i'd be placing them in as separate items to included in the schedule.

screen 011.png

Shelves.plan