WIndow & Door Labels

Jones_Drafting

There was a thread awhile back about this problem. Mine was cabinet labels. Cabinets in another room would show on the elevations. You could not select them, turn them off, etc. I resorted to using "whiteouts" to cover them up. I believe Chief's response was, "Don't use the SAM method for plans." I never understood how deleted cabinets could have an affect on the new cabinet elevations using the SAM method.

1 minute ago, Ridge_Runner said:

There was a thread awhile back about this problem. Mine was cabinet labels. Cabinets in another room would show on the elevations. You could not select them, turn them off, etc. I resorted to using "whiteouts" to cover them up. I believe Chief's response was, "Don't use the SAM method for plans." I never understood how deleted cabinets could have an affect on the new cabinet elevations using the SAM method.

Not familiar with SAM method... what am I missing?

Thanks for your reply!

Cris

2 minutes ago, Jones_Drafting said:

Not familiar with SAM method... what am I missing?

This is an advanced drawing production technique pioneered by Scott Hall that can still, after all the years he has been perfecting the system, create unseen issues within the software.  This will give you a quick overview: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1959/process-for-creating-new-plans-using-the-save-as-method-sam-by-d-scott-hall.html?playlist=142

The SAM method basically saves a current plan using the "save as" option, giving it a new name, delete what you don't need, and use that as your new plan. Scott Hall, and others, use this all of the time. There are several threads on the forum dealing with this method if you will do a search for "SAM method." That method allowed us to keep things like cameras, details, schedules, etc. already set up in the plan several versions ago. Much easier to do that now with the changes to Chief.

I'm not sure, but I think it's possible the problem could arise when re-using cameras.  Try this..

Move your camera to where the offending window and door labels are visible.  Open the door DBX while in that elevation view, click on the label tab, and then select "Hide In This View".  Once you do that for all the necessary objects, move your camera back into position.

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Open the door DBX while in that elevation view, click on the label tab, and then select "Hide In This View".  Once you do that for all the necessary objects, move your camera back into position.

I will have to try that next time it happens. It is not consistent; happens sometimes, doesn't others.

Ok - I'm going to be a tad ornery.  So don't read this if you're not in the mood!!!

SAM is not so much "advanced" as it is common sense.  Doing a SaveAs to generate a new project based on an old one is no different than doing a SaveAs to show a client a design variation.  To me, it's common sense, standard operating procedure!  Editing and variations are as much a part of design and my elbow is a part of my arm.

So, while Scott has done a great job in 'splainin' the process and benefits, this should not be viewed as somehow exotic.  imnsho.  ;-)

So - I'm calling a bug a bug.  Oops.  She said that out loud.

Michael - good tip on the Fonzy move to correct this.

What kind of graphics card do you have?  We have seen some people have this problem because they are using a particular graphics card that has a bug in the driver.  The solution for these people was to adjust the Hardware Edge Smoothing in the Render Preferences.  Try changing it from Low to any other setting to see if the problem will go away.  If not, then I would suggest you continue working with tech support.

17 hours ago, Dermot said:

What kind of graphics card do you have?  We have seen some people have this problem because they are using a particular graphics card that has a bug in the driver.  The solution for these people was to adjust the Hardware Edge Smoothing in the Render Preferences.  Try changing it from Low to any other setting to see if the problem will go away.

Just  thought for anyone who has this problem...

Consider the possibility that if you take an extra minute to just "Hide" labels for the offending objects, you can likely retain your desired Hardware Edge Smoothing Setting.  It might take an extra few minutes for each plan but it's a "lossless" solution in that you don't have to give anything else up.  You might be able to solve the issue by adjusting Hardware Edge Smoothing but then you lose full control of that setting which may result in longer rendering times or less than satisfactory 3D views.

For most video cards, you will probably see very little difference in performance between setting your hardware edge smoothing to High instead of Low and it will probably make your camera views look better.

For anyone else that is still seeing problems with extra or missing elevation labels, I would encourage you to report these problems to tech support.