1q2w3e

Editing Macros in Layout Box Specification > Labels

I'm trying to figure out a way to customize the macro label on the Layout page. Right now, CA default for  the box scale macro reads as "1/4 in = 1 ft". See attached.

What I'd like to have is for that to be displayed in capital letters' as is all of my text on my plans. I.E. "1/4 IN = 1 FT",  or , even better, 1/4" = 1'-0".

Most of the videos I've seen relate to plans and not layout pages, and couldn't find anything in the forums.

Can anyone point me in a direction here or help me with this? 

Thanks, 

Mark5997528c844aa_extgmacroonlayoutpage.thumb.GIF.4e19fb189d0f96ba59d651fc4ed5bb14.GIF

Hey Mark,

Here's a custom macro that should do what you're after.  Its just a really simple one that will only work properly if you're using a standard x = 1'-0" scale, but I'm guessing that's all you probably need this for.  It could be modified as necessary for other more complex scales for an additional fee but this one is on the house...

Mark's box scale.json

Just download the .JSON file, import into your layout file using Text Macro Management, and then place the %Mark's box scale% macro into your layout box label and you should be good to go. 

Maybe just consider pasting paypal.me/alaskansons into your web browser and sending a small donation my way if it seems valuable enough to you.  Its all good either way though.  Hopefully it helps you out : )

P.S.  For the uppercase letters all you have to do is change the text style for your "Layout Box Labels" layer to uppercase...

Uppercase.thumb.png.47470a86ca0befd44097280968caaa07.png

...easy as that.

Here is another idea. Works with odd scaling.

If this helps, feel free to send Michael a donation -- see above.

ct1.thumb.jpg.bb25d9aae550f5a90ffe2df7e829b4ee.jpg

v = box_scale.downcase.split(" = ")

f = v[1].split(" ")

if f[2] == "ft" 

x = f[1].split("/")

i = ((x[0].to_f / x[1].to_f) * 12.0).to_s

if i[ "."] then

x = i.split("\.")

if x[1] == "0"

i = x[0]

end

end

else

i = "0"

end

v[0].sub( / in/,"\"") + " = "+ f[0] + "'-" + i + "\""

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

Here is another idea. Works with odd scaling.

v=box_scale.split(" = ")

f=v[1].split(" ")

if f[2]=="ft" 

x=f[1].split("/")

i=(((x[0].to_f/x[1].to_f)*12).to_i).to_s

else

i="0"

end

v[0].sub( / in/,"\"") + " = "+ f[0] + "'-" + i + "\""

ct1.jpg

Nice Eric.  I didn't feel like thinking about it that much or like working that hard.  I might as well delete mine now...yours seems like it's probably much better : )

Thanks Michael. I edited mine to make the string lowercase since you showed how to make it uppercase :) and to respond better to odd scaling.

Should have been just a few minutes work, but I need to look up every command and syntax for ruby. 

Thanks for the quick response guys. I've been in the field for the past few days and will give these a try soon and let you know how it goes.

~Mark

You could change your Default Layout Text to a font that is all caps: i.e. COPPERPLATE GOTHIC BOLD.

Michael and Eric, 

Thanks for the input. I got exactly what I wanted! You guys were a great help.

Be well, 

Mark

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RichRidgewood
    Newest Member
    RichRidgewood

• By Ridge_Runner
      I have struggled with this problem for some time. When I send views to Layout, I will sometimes have a difficult time "picking" a line to edit (see attached view). By hit-and-miss I am able to select it off to the left from where it shows in the view. I could never determine why or what causes it to happen until today. I have sent countless views back to layout just so I could edit them - sometimes! By chance, I discovered today, while working on a cabinet sheet of views, the problem started again. I re-sent a view, could edit the lines in place by picking them where they showed in the view. After some edits, I could not select the lines as before; they had to be selected to the left of shown. I did a mental backtrack of what I had done just before this occurred. The only thing I had done different between the functioning view and the non-functioning view was to move the view label. I like to move the labels close to the view they tag to prevent possible errors in labeling. Sure enough, if I moved the label I could no longer pick a line as normal. If I didn't move the label, I could pick the lines as normal. Would someone please try this on one of your layout sheets to see if this happens on your system? I don't think it would be a setting but I don't have a clue why it would happen. BTW, I mostly move my labels to the left if that has any bearing.

Thanks, Mike

• By tdroes82
      Simple question I think. I just cant seem to figure this out.
      How do I create a Text box with my plan areas?
      - When I use  %room.name%: %room.area.standard%, this gives me what I need. But I can not move the text out of the room.
      - when I have 2 porches, can I add the two areas together on another "total porch" sq.ft text line?
      - Do I use Standard Area Polyline? If so, what is the correct macro to read it, such as living area, garage, porches, etc.

I can use stand area polyline, and then add correct macros to the label of each. Then move the label to the side in a list. But is there a way to accomplish this in 1 text box, reading each area respectively. What about adding 2 porches into 1 total porch area?

Here is what in 1 text box:
      total Heated Living:   sq.ft.
      total Garage:    sq.ft
      total porches: sq.ft.
      etc.

Then I can send this text to layout where I need it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. Thomas
    • By RGAID1
      I have added the Room ceiling height and the Room finished floor material to the Room Label to make a my custom room label. 

I need the ceiling height to be in feet (&inches) not in inches. I need the floor finish material to be the Generic type of finish (wood, tile, carpet, etc.) not the specific type of material. 

How can the label be modified to do this? Or can I change the way the room ceiling height dimension is noted without affecting my other dimensions? 

Can the materials be automatically noted as a type as they are found in the library rather than a specific material?
    • By RGAID1
      I have added the Room ceiling height and the Room finished floor material to the Room Label to make a my custom room label. 

I need the ceiling height to be in feet (&inches) not in inches. I need the floor finish material to be the Generic type of finish (wood, tile, carpet, etc.) not the specific type of material. 

How can the label be modified to do this? Or can I change the way the room ceiling height dimension is noted without affecting my other dimensions? 

Can the materials be automatically noted as a type as they are found in the library rather than a specific material?
    • By Greenshell
      https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=QNFewS_Eszk