Wall Hatch

didiosud

I wouldn't think of the "hatch" tool as the method for displaying a hatch in all your walls.  For that sort of thing just change the wall layer settings in the wall specification dialog box.

I'm not 100% sure what the wall hatch tool is supposed to be for, but I use it on occasion for special wall structural/lateral callouts for shearwalls etc.

50 minutes ago, johnny said:

I wouldn't think of the "hatch" tool as the method for displaying a hatch in all your walls.  For that sort of thing just change the wall layer settings in the wall specification dialog box.

I'm not 100% sure what the wall hatch tool is supposed to be for, but I use it on occasion for special wall structural/lateral callouts for shearwalls etc.

I have never used it,  maybe I am misssing something.

I believe the wall hatch tool goes way back to a time when that was the only way to hatch a wall - before wall definitions could contain hatches.
Its one of those tools that have just hung around in the background and occasionally has a use.

Glenn,  I think you just defined a vestigial tool.  Although it does have a unique function that could be useful.

As Chief now says :  In many cases, it is preferable to create a wall type definition rather than use the Hatch Wall 5979446fe8855_HatchWalltool.JPG.0ebe14c5718f9a841fb782f4650714eb.JPG tool because multiple fill styles can be used. 

I LOVE the wall hatch tool. For remodelings where you are wanting to show a bunch of new sections of walls (like where a window is getting filled in), it is MUCH better than trying to break walls and then use different wall types in the same wall. Also, in the final plans where you may want to turn off wall layers, the hatch will extend to both sides of the wall, which looks graphically correct.

Unfortunately, there is no way to set a default for hatches. (This should be corrected, and has been requested before.) The best you can do is to put in all the hatches, and with the hatch tool selected, group-select the hatches you want to change, and then edit them as a group.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Unfortunately, there is no way to set a default for hatches. (This should be corrected, and has been requested before.)......

I agree,  if this was possible,  I would use the wall hatch tool.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Unfortunately, there is no way to set a default for hatches. (This should be corrected, and has been requested before.) The best you can do is to put in all the hatches, and with the hatch tool selected, group-select the hatches you want to change, and then edit them as a group.

Fully agree! 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:12 PM, Richard_Morrison said:

I LOVE the wall hatch tool. For remodelings where you are wanting to show a bunch of new sections of walls (like where a window is getting filled in), it is MUCH better than trying to break walls and then use different wall types in the same wall. Also, in the final plans where you may want to turn off wall layers, the hatch will extend to both sides of the wall, which looks graphically correct.

Totally agree, I use it a bunch as well; mainly to quickly show changes in wall framing heights, from 9' to 10', or balloon, etc. instead of substituting walls with differing hatches.

Nice tip Michael, on object painting.  Occasionally, I have projects with multiple wall heights so I have a legend designating what each hatch represents, never thought to use the object eyedropper.  In fact, I revise my earlier comment from nice tip to great tip.