Looking for new graphics card; came across this one ..

basketballman

On 4/28/2017 at 11:45 AM, HumbleChief said:

I installed my new 1080 and really noticed no difference in rendering over my older 780. I'll not purchase the best Graphics card again as I din't Chief benefits that much from a super fast processor. A 1070 or even a 1060 should be plenty for Chief.

what program are you using to render? chief is CPU based, whereas you would see a huge improvement over the 780 with Thea's Presto engine. Plus the Pascal architecture of the new card draws less juice and runs super cool even after 24 hours of rendering....my 1070 never breaks 30 degrees Celsius vs my 980 ti that consistently gets into 80 degrees Celsius after just 2 hours

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

what program are you using to render? chief is CPU based, whereas you would see a huge improvement over the 780 with Thea's Presto engine. Plus the Pascal architecture of the new card draws less juice and runs super cool even after 24 hours of rendering....my 1070 never breaks 30 degrees Celsius vs my 980 ti that consistently gets into 80 degrees Celsius after just 2 hours

The terms might get a bit confusing here but I use the term 'Render' to denote the 3D rotational views that Chief Architect generates to view 3D models, and the term RayTrace to denote those 3D views that are set to be set to a photo image. I'm not saying that's the correct uses of those terms and I know they are interchanged a lot to talk about 2 different things.

I use Chief for everything and the 'Rendering' that Chief does seems to be easily handled by the newer video cards. I think the 1080 is actually overkill for Chief and its 'Rendering' mode.. I don't RayTrace much anymore but Thea uses the graphics card to RayTrace and not the CPU as Chief does?

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

The terms might get a bit confusing here but I use the term 'Render' to denote the 3D rotational views that Chief Architect generates to view 3D models, and the term RayTrace to denote those 3D views that are set to be set to a photo image. I'm not saying that's the correct uses of those terms and I know they are interchanged a lot to talk about 2 different things.

I use Chief for everything and the 'Rendering' that Chief does seems to be easily handled by the newer video cards. I think the 1080 is actually overkill for Chief and its 'Rendering' mode.. I don't RayTrace much anymore but Thea uses the graphics card to RayTrace and not the CPU as Chief does?

All understood, yes the 1080 is certainly overkill for chief, nice for Lumion or Thea though. Thea uses CPU and GPU together in their new rendering engine Presto, which tickles the heck out of me. Your particular setup is similar to mine and just flies in Thea(with a few trade tricks). Biggest benefit for me personally is the power consumption and temparature stability. I have a mini-itx water cooled xeon with that card in it and the 980 ti used to bring the temp of all the components up to 70-80 celsius in a hurry. Now with the 1070 its a cool machine. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, HumbleChief said:

I installed my new 1080 and really noticed no difference in rendering over my older 780.

Larry, Did you purchase EVGA again ?  They seem to have a good reputation for Warranty and Tech Support.  Can you confirm that?  Don't forget to update your Signature.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Now with the 1070 its a cool machine. 

Good to know.  I ordered mine today.

Thanks Larry,  That seems like as good a recommendation as any, since you are a returning customer and possibly have no experience with Warranty or Tech Support is good.  I went for the 1070 based on your experience and my limited budget opting for as much memory as possible and not the all the extra expensive clock speed.  I will let you all know how it is when installed.