Updating layout views

tds_cc

New to CA. I was so proud of myself for creating a layout template and sending plan views to layout. Now I've made some changes to my plan and they are not updating in layout. Not finding the answer in the training videos or here. How do I fix this?

Maybe you saved the plan file as a different name.  You might need to re-link to the file you are working on.  From the layout, look for the icon that looks like two links in a chain.  Follow the prompts from there.

..but first and most obviously...make sure you have actually refreshed the views.  Unless they are set to Always Update, you need to manually update them.  Just click on the Update Layout View icon or go to Tools>Layout>Update Layout Views and select the appropriate option.

18 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

And that the Layout and the Plan are both open.

Why would they both need to be open?  Should only need the layout open.  Example: I copied a client's project to my desktop, deleted all the windows (Just for testing purposes), saved and closed CA.   Restarted CA, opened the layout and left the plan file closed.  Told CA to update views and it did.

Not sure if I am misunderstanding the reason both being open.

Jared, 

Actually when you open the Layout the Plan is automatically opened - it just doesn't show in the Project Browser until you open a view.  I'm not sure why CA doesn't display the Plan in the Project Browser immediately when you open a Layout.  I've asked for that for a couple of releases but they haven't done it.

11 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Jared, 

Actually when you open the Layout the Plan is automatically opened - it just doesn't show in the Project Browser until you open a view.  I'm not sure why CA doesn't display the Plan in the Project Browser immediately when you open a Layout.  I've asked for that for a couple of releases but they haven't done it.

After I posted that, I was wondering if that was what you were referring to....Thanks.

Thanks, everyone. I found that the plan and layout were already properly linked. I also had both plan and layout open (I had opened the plan first and then the layout - not sure if that order really matters.) So I decided on a lark to close and reopen both the layout and the plan and then the changes showed up. No problems after that. Not sure why.