Make joist header ext. finish same as ICF foundation finish

bradak60

Trying to stop siding on first floor to top of floor and add 2" foam with stucco to joist/sill header to match lower ICF stucco. Is there a way to do this with the joist header(platform) to show it properly in plan, floor framing and cross section views?  First floor wall would be 2x6, 7/16" OSB, 1/2 insulation sheeting then siding. Stucco on joist/sill header and foundation wall would be even to outside of insulated sheeting on first floor. This keeps siding away from the ground more.

Thanks for any help,

Bradak X9 user

If I understand what you are looking for in the attached image and plan, you can build your floor framing automatically; then, manually adjust:

1)   move your rim joist in 1.5” and trim the floor joists accordingly

2)   copy that rim joist and move it the outside and change the material to rigid insulation

3)   you will need to relocate the sill plate

4)   do the CAD detail to match your pdf - that may require a "CAD Detail From View" from the section camera

foundation.png

Foundation-Floor.plan

And while we are at it,  why isn't the rim joist sitting on the sill plate.  Hello,  anybody home?

Of course I live in San Diego where the temperature is 72 degrees 345 days a year with no humidity but we are using r-15 at walls,  r-38 at attics,  dual glaze windows,  an IAQ fan and a whole house fan,  required on demand water heaters and we are on the verge of needing not only insulation in walls but rigid insulation on exterior face.

We run our A/C or heater only about 21 days out of the year.  We spend more money and energy with our Christmas lights,

Back in the '60's they were putting in Jalouise windows and somehow the folks in San Diego survived.

Government......  jeez.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you Scott and Solver for the pointers. Just looking for a way to take away from editing manually.

Jeez dshalll-good job on picking up the error of the joist header off the plate.  The one thing you missed was not having insulation on the exterior is that you lose a thermal break

(nothing to do with a coffee break):lol: The joist header is one of the most neglected areas I've seen  in my 37 years of construction. You are talking about 200-300 sf area that can have inadequate insulation and air sealing. The interior space of the joist header will be sprayed with closed cell when the underside of roof is done. In my area clients stay in their homes for years and they appreciate spending a little more money upfront to save in the future.

6 hours ago, dshall said:

Jeez,  wouldn't it be easier to put the insulation in the floor system just inside the rim joist.  Doesn't that give you the insulation you want and at the same time make it easier to build?

Depending on where they are building, possibly Jeez has  to "clad" the outside walls with the insulating sheets that bridge over

all framing members.  

1 hour ago, JJohnson said:

Depending on where they are building, possibly Jeez has  to "clad" the outside walls with the insulating sheets that bridge over

all framing members.  

Yeah,  I thought about that, but I do not see any insulating sheets over the studs so I did not think it was relevant.  No worries,  we all do things a little different.

Its called a thermo-break. In areas where it gets extremely cold. I would like to just get out of the rain for JUST ONE FRIIGGIN DAY.

Lived on Maui for 2 years in a home with screens over the openings that had no windows. The walls were exposed studs and had ship lap for siding. Never got cold and when it got hot just walked out the front door for a swim. First time I ever slept in a bed with no sheet or blanket. Life was much simpler back then. Not a lot of money but no pains.

2 hours ago, dshall said:

Yeah,  I thought about that, but I do not see any insulating sheets over the studs so I did not think it was relevant.  No worries,  we all do things a little different.

Take a closer look, I see 1/2 ridged on the walls.

Anyhoo, I am starting to see it here in NorCal :ph34r: brrrrr 

On 3/31/2017 at 2:12 PM, Northriver said:

Its called a thermo-break. In areas where it gets extremely cold. I would like to just get out of the rain for JUST ONE FRIIGGIN DAY.

Lived on Maui for 2 years in a home with screens over the openings that had no windows. The walls were exposed studs and had ship lap for siding. Never got cold and when it got hot just walked out the front door for a swim. First time I ever slept in a bed with no sheet or blanket. Life was much simpler back then. Not a lot of money but no pains.

I had a cousin up there on one of the islands, but never got to visit.  I read that Port Townsend has less annual rainfall than here, due to the

rain shadow from the mountains on the Olympic Peninsula, but must be pretty cloudy there though.

2016 energy code requirements are causing some designers to show ridged foam "cladding" on the outside of structures here in CA.

I'll be doing my first in a few weeks.  Was going to be EIFS until we found out about the insurance issues.  Now will be wood siding finish over foam, which, I prefer anyway.

2 hours ago, JJohnson said:

2016 energy code requirements are causing some designers to show ridged foam "cladding" on the outside of structures here in CA.

I have been able to get around doing this using the computer method, by trading off energy requirements for different areas. A little more here , a little less there, I guess it depends on your climate zone.

It would be nice if Chief could have the setup for building floor framing like wall layers to make this process easier. If you want a joist header to have exterior insulation then stucco to match the foundation finish with wood siding on walls above joist header, there are a lot of steps to go through to do this. Many of them manually like Scott suggested. Or maybe they could treat this another way like when extending cabinet backsplashes to base or uppers.

5 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have been able to get around doing this using the computer method, by trading off energy requirements for different areas. A little more here , a little less there, I guess it depends on your climate zone.

In my case, we want open or vaulted ceilings, which restricts the potential for insulating the attic, or having a so called "high performance" attic.

So the trade off, as you note, is "high performance" wall insulating system, 1" ridged form "cladding".

Have not had to go to triple glazing yet.

We are on a slab so not had to worry with floor assembly showing correctly thankful for that.

JJ. There is a sun belt that runs from Sequim to the northern part of Whidbey Island. The San Juan Islands are nice but have lost that "getaway" feeling about 20 years ago. I like the Canadian Islands better and we spent many summers cruising up the inside passage. We spent quite a few nights on the boat in Desolation sound at a spot called Prideaux Haven. Its a provincial park in BC. The place is pristine and unspoiled. The water is can get up the mid seventy degrees. The Nordstrom family use to park their Yacht up there in the summer time. When the Kids were young we took our boat up the inside passage to Alaska. Glacier Bay, Chichagof Island, Baranof Island and Prince of Wales Island were just a few of the many stops we made. We spent the night at a place called Hydaburg on Prince of Wales Island where their is a small Indian Village. They hand carve Totem Poles that are shipped all over the world ( I caught my largest ling cod of about 80 pounds of the south east corner of this Island) You need to get out of California and visit some of these places up north. Maybe Alaska Son can give you grand tour of SE Alaska. If you are ever up this way PM me and I will set up a fishing trip for you and your brother.

So in California, you have to put foam insulation on the outside wall of new homes?

16 hours ago, JJohnson said:

In my case, we want open or vaulted ceilings, which restricts the potential for insulating the attic, or having a so called "high performance" attic.

So the trade off, as you note, is "high performance" wall insulating system, 1" ridged form "cladding".

Have not had to go to triple glazing yet.

We are on a slab so not had to worry with floor assembly showing correctly thankful for that.

I get r-38 in vaulted ceilings all the time using larger rafters in that area. You could also add rigid foam on top if you need more.

On 4/4/2017 at 6:44 PM, Northriver said:

JJ. There is a sun belt that runs from Sequim to the northern part of Whidbey Island. The San Juan Islands are nice but have lost that "getaway" feeling about 20 years ago. I like the Canadian Islands better and we spent many summers cruising up the inside passage. We spent quite a few nights on the boat in Desolation sound at a spot called Prideaux Haven. Its a provincial park in BC. The place is pristine and unspoiled. The water is can get up the mid seventy degrees. The Nordstrom family use to park their Yacht up there in the summer time. When the Kids were young we took our boat up the inside passage to Alaska. Glacier Bay, Chichagof Island, Baranof Island and Prince of Wales Island were just a few of the many stops we made. We spent the night at a place called Hydaburg on Prince of Wales Island where their is a small Indian Village. They hand carve Totem Poles that are shipped all over the world ( I caught my largest ling cod of about 80 pounds of the south east corner of this Island) You need to get out of California and visit some of these places up north. Maybe Alaska Son can give you grand tour of SE Alaska. If you are ever up this way PM me and I will set up a fishing trip for you and your brother.

So in California, you have to put foam insulation on the outside wall of new homes?

Thanks for the invite, wish I come up tomorrow........

And thanks for volunteering Alaskan Son for guiding services, I will be giving him a call soon, however

I may have been skinning crab in Kodiak, before he was born   :ph34r:

(summers of '68 and '69)